Re: synoptic relations

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 1998
      At 11:00 AM 10/24/98 -0600, Larry Swain wrote:
      >In addition to the "Jewishness" of the gospel, the early attestation and
      >acceptance of Matthew and Matthean forms of the sayings in Christian
      >writers would indicate that Matthew had been around longer than Luke.
      >By itself not a strong argument, but I think that lays behind some of
      >this.

      This appears to be an equally valid argument for Matthean priority over
      Mark. For example, Matthew is more "Jewish" than Mark, but folks have
      little reluctance asserting that Matthew re-Judaized Mark. On the other
      hand, W. R. Farmer feels that Markan priority over Matthew violates a
      sociological "mother-daughter" law.