Re: Greek Thomas Website--still not satisfied!

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 1998
      Timothy Dickens wrote:

      > Thanks to Mark Goodacre, we were introduced to an interesting
      > website regarding the Greek of Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 654; 1 and 655.
      > When I viewed the site, I questioned how were scholars able to
      > arrive at the words in parentheses. After all, anyone with one year
      > of basic Greek would be able to tell that the first line of the
      > Greek text of Thomas 1 has words not found in the English
      > translation. Not satisfied with Mr. Goodacre's explanation, I have
      > decided to scan a page from Kloppenborg's _Q Parallels_ which not
      > only has the Greek text of Thomas but the Coptic and other
      > translations of verse 1. Kloppenborg's *Greek* text has parentheses
      > around uncertain words of verse 1, but I was wondering if someone on
      > this list who has a knowledge of Coptic would tell me if the words
      > in parenthesis come from the Coptic or another nearby translation of
      > Thomas.

      My answer would still be: have a look at Fitzmyer and all will
      become clear. The web site to which I referred
      (http://huizen.dds.nl/~skirl/poxy_654.htm) features all the extant
      Greek words without any reconstruction. The English translation,
      however, is (Fitzmyer's) translation of Fitzmyer's reconstructed
      text, with the reconstructed parts in parentheses.

      Fitzmyer reconstructs on the basis of several criteria: 1). space
      -- the need to make up the requisite number of words and parts of
      words; 2). the Coptic text -- the key tool; 3). synoptic parallels,
      especially if the Greek shows some affinity with synoptic parallels
      in the non-reconstructed text; 4). common sense and inference.

      > Anyone interested in seeing the Greek, Coptic, and other parallels
      > can go to the following website:
      > http://www.mindspring.com/~tynell/Giffs/POxy.654.JPG
      >
      > I would appreciate some serious advice about how were scholars able
      > to come up with the English words in parentheses.

      Fitzmyer gives a full account. He supplies APOKRYFAI, for example
      (POxy 654, line 1), on the basis of the Coptic eNSHAJE EQHP (pp.
      367-8). Fitzmyer notes that J. B. Bauer prefers to reconstruct with
      KEKRUMMENOI.

      I would recommend too Mike Grondin's web site which features Coptic
      Thomas with English interlinear translation -- an excellent resource,
      with a couple of facsimilies too.
      (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/).

      But there is no substitute for reading Fitzmyer.

      With good wishes

      Mark
      Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...
      Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre.htm