Anti-Gentile Matthew?

  • Chris Montgomery
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 1998
      Dear all,

      I have just finished re reading Matthew's Gospel (without the chapter
      and verse divisions, which is refreshing in itself) and I cannot help
      but feel uncomfortable with the expressed view that Matthew is
      anti-Gentile.

      Rather it seems to me that if anything the author/redactor of
      'Matthew' has more of a beef with the Jews - in particular the Jewish
      authorities - than he does with Gentiles. If Jesus' mission is
      expressed as a mission to the 'lost sheep of Israel', it seems to me
      that this serves all the more to heap blame upon them for their lack
      of belief, after all if what had been accomplished in major Jewish
      centres had been accomplished in Tyre and Sidon, and even Gomorroh,
      etc. (witness the sign of Jonah, whose succesful mission to Ninevah,
      a Gentile city, has, I suspect, more to do with the matter than
      simply the three days in the fish, which is specifically alluded to).

      I am attracted by the thesis presented in Donald Senior's paper, 'The
      Fate of the Betrayer: A Redactional Study of Matthew XXVII, 3-10' in
      Ephemerides Theologicae Lovaniensis 48 (1972), 372-426, in
      which he proposes that the author of Matthew sought to lay the blame
      for the fall of Jerusalem on the Jewish elders.

      For what it's worth,

      Cheers,

      Chris Montgomery
      Ph.D. Candidate