Fwd: Re: [Synoptic-L] The riddle of the loaves and leftovers post II

  • Chuck Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005

      John and Richard,

      I've read in several works from fellows of the Jesus Seminar that yeast generally had a negative connotation in Israel, and that in the primary positive reference to it in the NT, the parable of leaven working through the lump of dough, Jesus was being religiously perverse in taking an unclean substance and using it in a positive light.

      Bruce, still wondering why I used a war metaphor (I've been lurking for a while....)?

      Chuck

      John Lupia <jlupia2@...> wrote:
      --- Richard Richmond wrote:
      Metaphorically leaven in
      > Mark represents false teaching (also explained in
      > the
      > text of Matthew)

      No. Yeast (zyme) is characterized as the "yeast of
      the Pharisees or that of Herod" in Lk12:1//Mt
      16:6,11//Mk 8:15. The modifiers "of the Pharisees" or
      "of Herod" in logic means that "some yeast" is
      metaphorically signifying false teaching. Not "all
      yeast". Why does Mark so carefully copy the nuance of
      "some yeast"? It is because the earlier Gospels in Lk
      13:21//Mt 13:33 use the broad term yeast to have a
      positive meaning. After Lk had used it first some
      readers misunderstood so Mt 16:12 clarifies things as
      a first century "yeast for dummies".

      This metaphor was employed by Paul
      > in his epistle to the Galatians with respect to
      > Jewish
      > teaching that had been imposed on the converts at
      > Galatia.

      A very bad reading says that. Paul is using an
      idiomatic expression equivalent, in this case, since
      the intended meaning is negative, to a modern idiom "A
      rotten apple spoils the whole barrel." Ho.wever, the
      idiom by itself is neutral and can swing both ways.
      The import as either positive or negative depends on