[Synoptic-L] Poll result

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
      The poll concerning the new host for Synoptic-L is now closed and with
      the following result:

      Yahoo!Groups: 15 votes
      Google Groups: 8 votes

      As you will see, the overwhelming winner was those who did not vote,
      which is in the hundreds. So the new host for Synoptic-L will be
      Yahoo!Groups. More announcements and some possible movements later.
      Watch this space, as they say.

      Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
      Dept of Theology and Religion
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com

    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
        On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
        > The poll concerning the new host for Synoptic-L is now closed ... So
        > the new host for Synoptic-L will be
        > Yahoo!Groups.

        Did you weight the votes based on the degree to which each voter knows
        what they're talking about? I've been considering such a political
        system in the U.S. :)
        I just lament how spammy Yahoo emails are. Honestly, such a low poll
        is misleading, considering that folks had not a chance to state why
        they chose one over another, reasons which may have turned out to be
        untrue. I say move ahead with your plans, but I do wonder if folks know
        how LONG the trailer/signature is going to be now with Yahoo (compared
        with Google Groups which currently adds exactly zero to each email).
        Here's how Mark's email will look:

        > Mark
        >
        > --
        > Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
        > Dept of Theology and Religion
        > University of Birmingham
        > Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
        > Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376
        >
        > http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        > http://NTGateway.com

        > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM
        >
        > List managers may be contacted directly at:
        > Synoptic-L-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        whew!

      • John Lupia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
          --- Joseph Weaks <j.weaks@...> wrote:

          > Did you weight the votes based on the degree to
          > which each voter knows
          > what they're talking about? I've been considering
          > such a political
          > system in the U.S. :)
          > I just lament how spammy Yahoo emails are.

          I don't mean to sound testy, but this comment of yours
          is misleading (see below, no, below this below
          comment)

          For those who do not know Yahoo email has the best or
          perhaps I should say (since I am not certain) one of
          the best spam filters available for inbox mail, which
          sorts junk mail into a Bulk Mail bin. Very rare, or
          perhaps scarce is a better word, a mail you would want
          get sorted into the Bulk Mail bin.

          > Honestly, such a low poll
          > is misleading, considering that folks had not a
          > chance to state why
          > they chose one over another, reasons which may have
          > turned out to be
          > untrue. I say move ahead with your plans, but I do
          > wonder if folks know
          > how LONG the trailer/signature is going to be now
          > with Yahoo (compared
          > with Google Groups which currently adds exactly zero
          > to each email).

          If this is what you mean by spammy then I think you
          should define it better not to scare off people giving
          the false impression that by going to Yahoo they will
          be inundated with spam in their inbox. Why is the
          trailer so important to you? Who even reads them?

          John

          > Here's how Mark's email will look:
          >

          > > Mark
          > >
          > > --
          > > Dr Mark Goodacre
          > mailto:Goodacre@...
          > > Dept of Theology and Religion
          > > University of Birmingham
          > > Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414
          > 7512
          > > Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415
          > 8376
          > >
          > > http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          > > http://NTGateway.com
          > >
          > > Synoptic-L Homepage:
          > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

          > --------------------~-->
          > > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
          > computers.
          > > At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital
          > Divide!

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

          > > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          > > Synoptic-L-owners@yahoogroups.com
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > > <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
          > >
          > > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
          > to:
          > >
          > > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >

          > whew!
          >

          > Synoptic-L Homepage:
          > http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

          John N. Lupia, III
          Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
          Fax: (732) 349-3910
          God Bless America

        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
            > John
            >
            >> Here's how Mark's email will look:
            >>

            >>> Mark
            >>>
            >>> --
            >>> Dr Mark Goodacre
            >> mailto:Goodacre@...
            >>> Dept of Theology and Religion
            >>> University of Birmingham
            >>> Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414
            >> 7512
            >>> Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415
            >> 8376
            >>>
            >>> http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            >>> http://NTGateway.com
            >>>
            >>> Synoptic-L Homepage:
            >> http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l
            >>>

            >>> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >> --------------------~-->
            >>> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
            >> computers.
            >>> At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital
            >> Divide!
            >>>

            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

            >>> List managers may be contacted directly at:
            >>> Synoptic-L-owners@yahoogroups.com
            >>>

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>
            >>> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
            >>>
            >>> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
            >> to:
            >>>
            >>> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
            >>> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >>

            >> whew!
            >>

            >> Synoptic-L Homepage:
            >> http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l
            >>

            > John N. Lupia, III
            > Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
            > Fax: (732) 349-3910
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News/
            > God Bless America

            John,
            If you were able to find this part of my post, I believe I've
            illustrated what I was referring to. My apologies if I was misleading
            in a colloquial use of "spammy". I simply meant to refer these long
            postscripts that get attached to emails if folks don't use due
            diligence in replies (which as we both know folks often forget to do).
            Yes, we don't read them, but in a thread they sure can accumulate so
            quickly, at times making it difficult to follow a thread. Bottom
            posting, as opposed to Top posting, really is preferred by those who
            are internet protocol snobs about such things (I usually top post.)

            As for Yahoo's email service (an only tangentially related topic), it's
            so established to the extent of hardly still being within the realm of
            opinion that Google is vastly superior. This is why Yahoo keeps
            acquiring other email companies/services to try and redouble their
            efforts.

            I digress and submit to the will of the masses of 8 people more than
            the other group who choose Yahoo. We'll consider it a mandate. I, along
            with a majority of Americans, have grown accustomed to the failures of
            democracy. (Insert tongue in cheek)

            Joe