Re: [Synoptic-L] The riddle of the loaves and baskets

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      To: Synoptic-L
      On: Mk 8:11-21
      From: Chuck Jones

      I guess I'm a simple guy.  But I've found this story to be straightforward, humorous, and one with which I can resonate personally.  The disciples are worried and ashamed because they did something as silly as forget to bring food for their trip.  (They're 60 miles into the Mohave and realize they forgot to gas the car.)  They're "beating themselves up" to use modern American idiom.

      Jesus, on the other hand, is still reflecting on his argument with adversaries and ruminates aloud, "Beware the yeast of the Pharisees and of Herod."

      The disciples can't hear and receive this spiritual warning (this would be The Point) because their shame is creating such background noise, and because they expect their rabbi, a person in power, to shame them when he finds out about their mistake.

      Aint no mistake.  See below.

      Jesus, instead of shaming them, asks them why they would worry about provisions in the presence of one who can feed multitudes.

      This would, then, stand as one of several such stories in Mark in which the disciples misunderstand for various reasons--fear, ambition, traditional religious views, sectarianism, and, here, simple distraction.

      I have a feeling this will be found to be too simple an interpretation, so fire away, friends.

      As some list members know, I gave an account of the nature and origin of the rebuke in JSNT some time ago (1996).  The article, "The Rebuke of the Disciples in Mk 8:14-21",  can be read at:

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UCfNQjeZWy7cQkZfJufJKA1x6Bi4EKYKG4LIw_uyZIthM7jRmIiDmLOJAn78iwiDLBXFnAR9TKB999uoq9dh/ReBuke%20of%20the%20Disciples.htm

      You need to be a member of, and signed in to, XTalk to read it though.

      Jeffrey
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.