[Synoptic-L] genealogies in Matthew and Luke

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      I seems to me that the subject of this genealogical
      debate is much older than either of you realize, older
      then either of the two Gospels in question.

      The purpose of genealogies was most likely to
      establish the right to be a priest, and some have
      pointed out that it looks as though it was first
      employed in the Gospels with respect to the Baptist.
      Some say the Magnificat was originally put into the
      mouth of Elizabeth. Here is the reference for the need
      to establish the priestly line.

      Ezrah 2:61 59 The following were those who came up
      from Telmelah, Telharsha, Cherub, Addan,
      and Immer, though they could not prove their fathers'
      houses or their descent, whether
      they belonged to Israel: 60 the sons of Delaiah, the
      sons of Tobiah, and the sons of Nekoda, six hundred
      and fifty-two. 61 Also, of the sons of the priests:
      the sons of Habaiah, the sons of Hakkoz, and the sons
      of Barzillai (who had taken a wife from the daughters
      of Barzillai the Gileadite, and
      was called by their name). 62 These sought their
      registration among those enrolled in the genealogies,
      but they were not found there, and so they were
      excluded from the priesthood as unclean; 63 the
      governor told them that they were not to partake of
      the most holy food, until there should be a priest to
      consult Urim and Thummim.

      Serious business to any that took it seriously.

      In the New Testament period before the Gospels we have
      another take on the genealogy issue:

      1Tim 1:2 To Timothy, my true child in the faith:
      Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father
      and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 As I urged you when I was
      going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may
      charge certain persons not to teach any different
      doctrine, 4 nor to occupy themselves with myths and
      endless genealogies which promote speculations rather
      than the divine training that is in faith;

      Titus 3:4 but when the goodness and loving kindness of
      God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of
      deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of
      his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and
      renewal in the Holy Spirit, 6 which he poured out upon
      us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that
      we might be justified by his grace and become heirs in
      hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is sure. I desire
      you to insist on these things, so that those who have
      believed in God may be careful to apply themselves to
      good deeds; these are excellent and profitable to men.
      9 But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies,
      dissensions, and quarrels over the law, for they are
      unprofitable and futile.

      So you see Paul's response to debates concerning
      genealogies note that he couples them with myths as
      well. It would appear that both Matthew and Luke wish
      to continue the debate that Paul denounced.

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...