Re: [Synoptic-L] Synoptic Problem

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
      To: Synoptic-L
      On: Synoptic Relationships
      From: Bruce

      I had mentioned the logically possible 18 (or more precisely 25) patterns of
      relationships that may obtain among the 3 Synoptic texts, noted that only 1
      of them can be right (they are mutually exclusive), and concluded that if we
      can identify the 1, we have solved the Synoptic Problem, as usually defined.

      TIM: Not if one or more of the 18 "relationships" bears the relation to its
      source that the Bad Quartos of Shakespeare's most popular plays bear to the
      Folio texts:

      BRUCE: I think this mixes categories. A relationship is not a text, to be
      judged on its fidelity. The solution to the Synoptic Problem will be of the
      form (for example), A | B > C. It will not say how close or scrupulous C is
      in deriving material from B, or anything of the sort. It also won't
      establish whether John Mark was the author of Mark, or any of the other
      things we might like to know in a perfect world; those things come, or not
      come, in their turn. What it *will* establish, among the 3 Synoptics, is who
      knew whom. Present list discussion will attest that this is not presently
      agreed, so that any future agreement, or progress toward agreement, would
      seem to constitute progress.

      Respectfully resubmitted,

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks