[Synoptic-L] The implications of the evidence : the synoptic problem

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
      I was racing through my text to say:

      Leonard says that Mark was racing through the Gospel
      of Matthew to create his work:

      I respond.:

      "the evidence indicates that Mark must have gone so
      fast through the text of Matthew that he missed any
      positive reference to Peter that was present in
      Matthew -and there are many: There is the Rock upon
      which the church is built, there is the rock upon
      which the wise man should build his house and there is
      the story of walking on water to get to someone you
      think might be Jesus, there is the story of catching
      the fish to pay taxes. But then, one must consider the
      position of John Lupia who believes Mark copied from
      Luke. That would explain everything because Luke does
      not have any of these stories either. Now do we have
      it right?

      All Mark could see was that Peter resembled the rocky
      soil that could not support the plant and consequently
      produced no fruit ; that seedling that became withered
      like the fig tree cursed by Jesus. It was Peter
      himself that noticed the cursed fig tree had withered
      away at the root. It was Peter that tried to get Jesus
      to abandon his mission and go back to the house of his
      mother in law. It was Peter that wanted to prevent
      Jesus from going to the cross. It was Peter who said
      he did not even know who Jesus was after leading the
      disciples in swearing that they were ready do die for
      Jesus. This is the picture that Mark paints of the
      Apostle Peter and why many hold his gospel in disdain.
      I am only a student of the artifacts trying to
      understand the tradition that spawned these Gospels
      but I cannot pretend that Mark does not say, what in
      fact it says clearly. Nor that those who used this
      Gospel to produce their own version did not so use it.

      In Galatians a rift developed between Paul and Peter
      together with James’s circumcision party. Paul
      indicates that the rift was due to Peter behaving
      like the Gentiles until the crowd from James arrived.
      Then Peter moved over to the position of the Jewish
      believers from Jerusalem and behaved like a Jew.
      Paul’s reprimand of Peter’s hypocritical behavior in
      the company of so many was the dividing line in the
      movement that was not yet erased when these Gospels
      were written. Mark comes from the circle that remained
      faithful to Paul. Matthew and Luke on the other hand,
      come from the traditions of Cephas and James
      respectively and that is the cause of our Synoptic
      problem as I see it. The view of Mark with respect to
      Peter’s character is the same view we see in
      Galatians.

      Rick

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
        In a message dated 7/4/2005 9:23:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rickr2889@... writes:

        Leonard says that Mark was racing through the Gospel
        of Matthew to create his work:

        You seem to read my posts about as carefully as you read the gospel texts. I never said what you attribute to me above. So the sarcasm in the remainder of your response is misplaced, even if it felt good at the time. You should really read the archives of this list so as to save yourself the embarrassment of repeating superficial arguments in favor of Markan priority that have long ago been thoroughly refuted. It is tiresome to have to deal with the same sophomoric argumentation every time a new-comer to the list tunes in.

        Leonard Maluf
        Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        Weston, MA