[Synoptic-L] No Luke Demonstration of the priority of Mark

  • Richard Richmond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
      Blaming it on mom

      Here we encounter a pericope common to Matthew and to
      Mark that has no parallel in Luke. At this point we
      cannot say that either writer copied Luke. Can we
      discern which of these accounts is prior to the other?
      I think we can.

      35 And James and John, the sons of Zeb'edee, came
      forward to him, and said to him, "Teacher, we want you
      to do for us whatever we ask of you." 36 And he said
      to them, "What do you want me to do for you?" 37 And
      they said to him, "Grant us to sit, one at your right
      hand and one at your left, in your glory." 38 But
      Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are
      asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or
      to be baptized with the baptism with which I am
      baptized?" 39 And they said to him, "We are able." And
      Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you will
      drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized,
      you will be baptized; 40 but to sit at my right hand
      or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for
      those for whom it has been prepared." 41 And when the
      ten heard it, they began to be indignant at James and
      John.

      Matthew 20:20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee
      came up to him, with her sons, and kneeling before him
      she asked him for something. 21 And he said to her,
      "What do you want?" She said to him, "Command that
      these two sons of mine may sit, one at your right hand
      and one at your left, in your kingdom." 22 But Jesus
      answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are
      you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?" They
      said to him, "We are able." 23 He said to them, "You
      will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at
      my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for
      whom it has been prepared by my Father." 24 And when
      the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two
      brothers.

      Matthew 20:20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee
      came up to him, with her sons, and kneeling before him
      she asked him for something. 21 And he said to her,
      "What do you want?" She said to him, "Command that
      these two sons of mine may......

      1.) The introduction to the pericope is unique to
      Matthew with the exception of the Question “what do
      you want?”. It is not the boys who ask for prominent
      places in the kingdom but their mother. And she does
      so dramatically by prostrating herself in front of
      Jesus. (who could be critical of a mother’s desire for
      the success of her children especially when that
      success has to do with the heavenly kingdom) The
      intended effect appears to be to reduce the obvious
      self seeking attitude of the two disciples that is
      much more obvious in the text of Mark.

      2.) Conversely if we were to say that Matthew was
      first what reason would Mark have to want to blame it
      on the two boys? The opposition would say that it was
      because Mark is very negative where the disciples are
      concerned. True enough but as we examine the text it
      would have been easy enough for Mark to retain the
      mom's request and simply indicate that the two boys
      put her up to it. He would have accomplished the same
      end with that approach and done less violence to the
      text.

      3.) I Matthew we have the very strange way in which
      Jesus seems to ignore the mother kneeling before him
      and speak directly to the boys "you do now know what
      you ask" The pronoun is in the plural. But they had
      not asked anything. Or had they?

      4.) We have the indignation of the other disciples.
      Why were they not upset at the mother? perhaps the
      Matthew text intends to point the guilt toward the
      boys by virtue of implication. Maybe Matthew is also
      saying it was the boys who made the request by way of
      their mother. Again this does not follow logically as
      he could have made a parenthetical comment to that
      effect as he does in other places. So the text that
      Matthew is working from indicates that Jesus' response
      to the question was directed at the two sons of
      Zebedee not the mother and that the other ten
      disciples were angry at James and John not at their
      mother. Both of these facts agree with the text of
      Mark.

      5.) If Matthew had the text of Mark in front of him
      why did he exclude the comment about baptizing?
      among the witnesses of Matthews text there are several
      that include baptism here while there are
      no witnesses that omit baptism at this point in the
      Markan text which would imply that comment about being
      baptized could have been part of the original text of
      Matthew.

      Again I am forced to conclude that Matthew is working
      from a text that at least agrees with our text of
      Mark. His text demonstrates the an intention to
      improve on the reputation of the twelve as it stands
      in the Gospel of Mark. Had the pericope originated
      with Matthew the story would have read more
      consistently as it relates to the mother.

      Rick Richmond rickr2889@...

    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
        --- Richard Richmond <rickr2889@...> wrote:

        > Blaming it on mom
        >

        > Here we encounter a pericope common to Matthew and
        > Mark that has no parallel in Luke.

        Which makes perfect sense if Luke were written first
        and not expected by an audience in the 21st century to
        have included everything known in his Gospel.

        Obviously Matthew introduced this new material later
        on. And, later on after him Mark responded to that
        material.

        Best regards,
        John N. Lupia, III

        John N. Lupia, III