[Synoptic-L] Re: The Apostolic Commission and the Synoptics: the staff, the bread, and the mo

  • John N. Lupia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      Dear Rick:

      Your take on this is that the sending out of the twelve was an exercise that
      lasted about an hour or so. The twelve regrouped with Jesus and they went
      off shortly encountering the hungry crowd. This interpretation is held by no
      serious researcher.

      The mission of the twelve in Lk 9:1-6; Mt 10:5:16; Mk 6:7-13 lasted for at least
      several days if not several weeks. This implication is inherent in the texts.
      Take for example, Mk 6:10 "Where you enter a house, stay there until you
      leave the place." a charge to preach in a small village, town or city where they
      were to stay in only one home as a guest while preaching there. This is
      recorded earlier in Mt 10: 11 "And whatever town or village you enter, find out
      who is worthy in it, and stay with him until you depart. " Taken from Lk 6:4
      "And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart." Now Mt
      mentions the towns cited in Lk 6:5 and villages that Lk 6: 6.

      Mk omits the mention of any towns or villages. Being a later Gospel directed
      to the Roman Church he means cities, implied by the late context of his
      writing characterized by the mentioning of the sacrament of the anointing of
      the sick, and portrayal of shod men carrying staves, something one should
      expect for a city traveler in Rome.

      With best regards,
      John N. Lupia, III

      --- In synoptic-l@yahoogroups.com, Richard Richmond <rickr2889@y...>