Re: [Synoptic-L] Move to Yahoo!Groups

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
      At 10:54 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Joseph Weaks wrote:
      >On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
      >>Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
      >>I don't think it would be a good idea.
      >
      >Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it had,
      >but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory includes an
      >interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its own groups
      >network. So, this is an errant statement.

      I stand corrected for implying that Google groups is still just
      an interface to Usenet group. Their beta version permits the
      creation of new groups, but I don't have any experience with
      that.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 26, 2005
        An update on the proposed move to Yahoo!Goups. Thanks for all the
        feedback. Well, it seems it is not as straightforward a switch as I
        had imagined. For some time, there was a simple button you could
        press to transfer a "remote group" on Yahoo!Groups, i.e. one that
        Yahoo!Groups only archived, to become a Yahoo!Groups hosted group.
        Alas, no longer. So I am corresponding with Yahoo!Groups to try to
        find out if this is still a possibility; but it's the usual dozen
        emails before you can get any sense at all out of them on the issue,
        endlessly re-explaining the situation. If nothing comes of that, then
        we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
        suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
        existing archive, or we could just set up Synoptic-L as another group
        on Yahoo!Groups. I'll let you know how things go as soon as I hear
        more.

        Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
        Dept of Theology and Religion
        University of Birmingham
        Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
        Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com

      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
          On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
          > ...If nothing comes of that, then
          > we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
          > suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
          > existing archive

          I set up a test Google Group for the sake of comparison at
          http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Synoptic-List. (I called it
          Synoptic-List so that Synoptic-L is still available.)

          The access levels seem great:
          Access level
          Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
          members can post messages.
          Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
          only moderators can post messages.
          Restricted - People must be invited to join the group and post or read
          messages. Your group and its archives do not appear in public Google
          search results or the directory.

          Setting up the group and adding email addresses is easy: just enter
          email addresses, one per line.

          Select a default subscription type
           No Email  -  read this group on the web
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
            Joe,

            Thanks for that. There is a lot that I like about Google Groups and
            if I was starting fresh, that's definitely what I'd go for. What
            bothered me over the BNTC use of the group was the sheer number of
            people who got in touch saying that they were unable to join it,
            dozens of people. I've experimented with your group and it looks
            like they have a block on linking up with a Yahoo!Groups archive, so
            we could not go for the ideal solution, which would be to have Google
            Groups hosting and Yahoo!Groups continuing the archiving. So for the
            time being, I'll see if we can get any further with Yahoo!Groups and
            the possibility of transferring to them wholesale. If we can't,
            GoogleGroups might be the best option. I'm now on about my fifth
            email to Yahoo!Groups and we are still going around in circles,
            talking most of the time to borg who can only offer cut-and-paste
            answers. But I am an optimist and hope that in the end we might
            prevail.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
              I am about to begin the transition from majordomo at Birmingham to
              Yahoo!Groups. The new list address will be Synoptic@yahoogroups.com.
              You can manage your subscription from
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic/ . Full details concerning
              subscribing and unsubscribing and the like are found on the group's
              new homepage at http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l.

              This should be the last message under the old address, which will now
              be discontinued.

              Any questions, please let me know.

              See you over on Yahoo!