Re: [Synoptic-L] No Luke: a thought experiment about Q

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 22, 2005
      Leonard Maluf wrote:

      > It would be easy to "work out" that Matthew was dependent on Mark only if one
      > presupposed a basically supplemental concept of Gospel writing, meaning that
      > a Gospel writer has as a primary aim to reproduce and transmit all
      > Jesus-material available to him or her.

      Leonard,

      My belief is that when a first century author invested the considerable
      effort required to compose a gospel, then given the probable paucity of
      reliable information available, (s)he would naturally take the opportunity
      to insert a substantial amount of material of his or her own composition in
      order to portray the image of Jesus and his immediate disciples which (s)he
      thought appropriate. This is clearly inconsistent with a post-Matthean Mark.
      You may say that I am presupposing this paucity of reliable information. But
      I think it was an inevitable consequence of two crucial factors. Firstly the
      fact that Paul took very little interest in the life and teaching of Jesus,
      and secondly the likelihood that the gospels were all produced after the
      Fall of Jerusalem in 70 CE, when the key original eyewitnesses had all died,
      been killed, or been scattered abroad and lost to history.

      Ron Price

      Derbyshire, UK

    • Karel Hanhart
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 6, 2005