Re: [Synoptic-L] Move to Yahoo!Groups

  • Joseph Weaks
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
      On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
      > At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >> Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?
      >
      > Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
      > I don't think it would be a good idea.

      I'm no longer making the argument to go with Google Groups, but I will
      answer these questions.
      Jeffrey, yes, Google Groups includes admin/moderator abilities to
      approve who gets into the group, who can post to the group, to delete
      messages, ban users, etc.
      Mark, how long ago was this that you had the difficulties, because
      Google Groups has made vast improvements over the last year? It is
      incredibly stable.
      Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it
      had, but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory
      includes an interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its
      own groups network. So, this is an errant statement.

      Cheers,
      Joe

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
        At 10:54 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Joseph Weaks wrote:
        >On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
        >>Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
        >>I don't think it would be a good idea.
        >
        >Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it had,
        >but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory includes an
        >interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its own groups
        >network. So, this is an errant statement.

        I stand corrected for implying that Google groups is still just
        an interface to Usenet group. Their beta version permits the
        creation of new groups, but I don't have any experience with
        that.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 26, 2005
          An update on the proposed move to Yahoo!Goups. Thanks for all the
          feedback. Well, it seems it is not as straightforward a switch as I
          had imagined. For some time, there was a simple button you could
          press to transfer a "remote group" on Yahoo!Groups, i.e. one that
          Yahoo!Groups only archived, to become a Yahoo!Groups hosted group.
          Alas, no longer. So I am corresponding with Yahoo!Groups to try to
          find out if this is still a possibility; but it's the usual dozen
          emails before you can get any sense at all out of them on the issue,
          endlessly re-explaining the situation. If nothing comes of that, then
          we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
          suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
          existing archive, or we could just set up Synoptic-L as another group
          on Yahoo!Groups. I'll let you know how things go as soon as I hear
          more.

          Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
          Dept of Theology and Religion
          University of Birmingham
          Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
          Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

          http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          http://NTGateway.com

        • Joseph Weaks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
            On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
            > ...If nothing comes of that, then
            > we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
            > suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
            > existing archive

            I set up a test Google Group for the sake of comparison at
            http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Synoptic-List. (I called it
            Synoptic-List so that Synoptic-L is still available.)

            The access levels seem great:
            Access level
            Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
            members can post messages.
            Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
            only moderators can post messages.
            Restricted - People must be invited to join the group and post or read
            messages. Your group and its archives do not appear in public Google
            search results or the directory.

            Setting up the group and adding email addresses is easy: just enter
            email addresses, one per line.

            Select a default subscription type
             No Email  -  read this group on the web
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
              Joe,

              Thanks for that. There is a lot that I like about Google Groups and
              if I was starting fresh, that's definitely what I'd go for. What
              bothered me over the BNTC use of the group was the sheer number of
              people who got in touch saying that they were unable to join it,
              dozens of people. I've experimented with your group and it looks
              like they have a block on linking up with a Yahoo!Groups archive, so
              we could not go for the ideal solution, which would be to have Google
              Groups hosting and Yahoo!Groups continuing the archiving. So for the
              time being, I'll see if we can get any further with Yahoo!Groups and
              the possibility of transferring to them wholesale. If we can't,
              GoogleGroups might be the best option. I'm now on about my fifth
              email to Yahoo!Groups and we are still going around in circles,
              talking most of the time to borg who can only offer cut-and-paste
              answers. But I am an optimist and hope that in the end we might
              prevail.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                I am about to begin the transition from majordomo at Birmingham to
                Yahoo!Groups. The new list address will be Synoptic@yahoogroups.com.
                You can manage your subscription from
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic/ . Full details concerning
                subscribing and unsubscribing and the like are found on the group's
                new homepage at http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l.

                This should be the last message under the old address, which will now
                be discontinued.

                Any questions, please let me know.

                See you over on Yahoo!