Re: [Synoptic-L] Move to Yahoo!Groups

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
      At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      >Joseph Weaks wrote:
      >> On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
      >> > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
      >> > Aside from
      >> > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
      >> > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
      >> > system:
      >> >
      >> > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...
      >>
      >> If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
      >> highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
      >> http://groups-beta.google.com/
      >>
      >> Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
      >> text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
      >> Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
      >> Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
      >> call.
      >> My 2¢,
      >> Joe
      >>

      >Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?

      Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
      I don't think it would be a good idea.

      Stephen

    • Joseph Weaks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
        On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
        > At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >> Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?
        >
        > Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
        > I don't think it would be a good idea.

        I'm no longer making the argument to go with Google Groups, but I will
        answer these questions.
        Jeffrey, yes, Google Groups includes admin/moderator abilities to
        approve who gets into the group, who can post to the group, to delete
        messages, ban users, etc.
        Mark, how long ago was this that you had the difficulties, because
        Google Groups has made vast improvements over the last year? It is
        incredibly stable.
        Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it
        had, but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory
        includes an interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its
        own groups network. So, this is an errant statement.

        Cheers,
        Joe

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
          At 10:54 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Joseph Weaks wrote:
          >On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
          >>Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
          >>I don't think it would be a good idea.
          >
          >Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it had,
          >but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory includes an
          >interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its own groups
          >network. So, this is an errant statement.

          I stand corrected for implying that Google groups is still just
          an interface to Usenet group. Their beta version permits the
          creation of new groups, but I don't have any experience with
          that.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 26, 2005
            An update on the proposed move to Yahoo!Goups. Thanks for all the
            feedback. Well, it seems it is not as straightforward a switch as I
            had imagined. For some time, there was a simple button you could
            press to transfer a "remote group" on Yahoo!Groups, i.e. one that
            Yahoo!Groups only archived, to become a Yahoo!Groups hosted group.
            Alas, no longer. So I am corresponding with Yahoo!Groups to try to
            find out if this is still a possibility; but it's the usual dozen
            emails before you can get any sense at all out of them on the issue,
            endlessly re-explaining the situation. If nothing comes of that, then
            we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
            suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
            existing archive, or we could just set up Synoptic-L as another group
            on Yahoo!Groups. I'll let you know how things go as soon as I hear
            more.

            Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
            Dept of Theology and Religion
            University of Birmingham
            Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
            Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

            http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            http://NTGateway.com

          • Joseph Weaks
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
              On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
              > ...If nothing comes of that, then
              > we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
              > suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
              > existing archive

              I set up a test Google Group for the sake of comparison at
              http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Synoptic-List. (I called it
              Synoptic-List so that Synoptic-L is still available.)

              The access levels seem great:
              Access level
              Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
              members can post messages.
              Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
              only moderators can post messages.
              Restricted - People must be invited to join the group and post or read
              messages. Your group and its archives do not appear in public Google
              search results or the directory.

              Setting up the group and adding email addresses is easy: just enter
              email addresses, one per line.

              Select a default subscription type
               No Email  -  read this group on the web
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                Joe,

                Thanks for that. There is a lot that I like about Google Groups and
                if I was starting fresh, that's definitely what I'd go for. What
                bothered me over the BNTC use of the group was the sheer number of
                people who got in touch saying that they were unable to join it,
                dozens of people. I've experimented with your group and it looks
                like they have a block on linking up with a Yahoo!Groups archive, so
                we could not go for the ideal solution, which would be to have Google
                Groups hosting and Yahoo!Groups continuing the archiving. So for the
                time being, I'll see if we can get any further with Yahoo!Groups and
                the possibility of transferring to them wholesale. If we can't,
                GoogleGroups might be the best option. I'm now on about my fifth
                email to Yahoo!Groups and we are still going around in circles,
                talking most of the time to borg who can only offer cut-and-paste
                answers. But I am an optimist and hope that in the end we might
                prevail.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                  I am about to begin the transition from majordomo at Birmingham to
                  Yahoo!Groups. The new list address will be Synoptic@yahoogroups.com.
                  You can manage your subscription from
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic/ . Full details concerning
                  subscribing and unsubscribing and the like are found on the group's
                  new homepage at http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l.

                  This should be the last message under the old address, which will now
                  be discontinued.

                  Any questions, please let me know.

                  See you over on Yahoo!