Re: [Synoptic-L] Move to Yahoo!Groups

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005

      Joseph Weaks wrote:

      > On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
      > > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
      > > Aside from
      > > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
      > > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
      > > system:
      > >
      > > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...
      >
      > If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
      > highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
      > http://groups-beta.google.com/
      >
      > Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
      > text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
      > Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
      > Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
      > call.
      > My 2¢,
      > Joe

      Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?

      Jeffrey

      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
        At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >Joseph Weaks wrote:
        >> On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
        >> > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
        >> > Aside from
        >> > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
        >> > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
        >> > system:
        >> >
        >> > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...
        >>
        >> If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
        >> highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
        >> http://groups-beta.google.com/
        >>
        >> Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
        >> text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
        >> Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
        >> Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
        >> call.
        >> My 2¢,
        >> Joe
        >>

        >Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?

        Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
        I don't think it would be a good idea.

        Stephen

      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
          On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
          > At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
          >> Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?
          >
          > Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
          > I don't think it would be a good idea.

          I'm no longer making the argument to go with Google Groups, but I will
          answer these questions.
          Jeffrey, yes, Google Groups includes admin/moderator abilities to
          approve who gets into the group, who can post to the group, to delete
          messages, ban users, etc.
          Mark, how long ago was this that you had the difficulties, because
          Google Groups has made vast improvements over the last year? It is
          incredibly stable.
          Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it
          had, but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory
          includes an interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its
          own groups network. So, this is an errant statement.

          Cheers,
          Joe

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
            At 10:54 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Joseph Weaks wrote:
            >On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
            >>Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
            >>I don't think it would be a good idea.
            >
            >Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it had,
            >but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory includes an
            >interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its own groups
            >network. So, this is an errant statement.

            I stand corrected for implying that Google groups is still just
            an interface to Usenet group. Their beta version permits the
            creation of new groups, but I don't have any experience with
            that.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 26, 2005
              An update on the proposed move to Yahoo!Goups. Thanks for all the
              feedback. Well, it seems it is not as straightforward a switch as I
              had imagined. For some time, there was a simple button you could
              press to transfer a "remote group" on Yahoo!Groups, i.e. one that
              Yahoo!Groups only archived, to become a Yahoo!Groups hosted group.
              Alas, no longer. So I am corresponding with Yahoo!Groups to try to
              find out if this is still a possibility; but it's the usual dozen
              emails before you can get any sense at all out of them on the issue,
              endlessly re-explaining the situation. If nothing comes of that, then
              we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
              suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
              existing archive, or we could just set up Synoptic-L as another group
              on Yahoo!Groups. I'll let you know how things go as soon as I hear
              more.

              Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...
              Dept of Theology and Religion
              University of Birmingham
              Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
              Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

              http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
              http://NTGateway.com

            • Joseph Weaks
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
                > ...If nothing comes of that, then
                > we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
                > suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
                > existing archive

                I set up a test Google Group for the sake of comparison at
                http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Synoptic-List. (I called it
                Synoptic-List so that Synoptic-L is still available.)

                The access levels seem great:
                Access level
                Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
                members can post messages.
                Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
                only moderators can post messages.
                Restricted - People must be invited to join the group and post or read
                messages. Your group and its archives do not appear in public Google
                search results or the directory.

                Setting up the group and adding email addresses is easy: just enter
                email addresses, one per line.

                Select a default subscription type
                 No Email  -  read this group on the web
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                  Joe,

                  Thanks for that. There is a lot that I like about Google Groups and
                  if I was starting fresh, that's definitely what I'd go for. What
                  bothered me over the BNTC use of the group was the sheer number of
                  people who got in touch saying that they were unable to join it,
                  dozens of people. I've experimented with your group and it looks
                  like they have a block on linking up with a Yahoo!Groups archive, so
                  we could not go for the ideal solution, which would be to have Google
                  Groups hosting and Yahoo!Groups continuing the archiving. So for the
                  time being, I'll see if we can get any further with Yahoo!Groups and
                  the possibility of transferring to them wholesale. If we can't,
                  GoogleGroups might be the best option. I'm now on about my fifth
                  email to Yahoo!Groups and we are still going around in circles,
                  talking most of the time to borg who can only offer cut-and-paste
                  answers. But I am an optimist and hope that in the end we might
                  prevail.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                    I am about to begin the transition from majordomo at Birmingham to
                    Yahoo!Groups. The new list address will be Synoptic@yahoogroups.com.
                    You can manage your subscription from
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic/ . Full details concerning
                    subscribing and unsubscribing and the like are found on the group's
                    new homepage at http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l.

                    This should be the last message under the old address, which will now
                    be discontinued.

                    Any questions, please let me know.

                    See you over on Yahoo!