[Synoptic-L] Move to Yahoo!Groups

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
      As some of you will know, I have recently accepted a position in the
      Department of Religion at Duke University. The move will have a
      direct effect on Synoptic-L because it has been hosted, since its
      inception in February 1998, at the University of Birmingham. This
      will, of course, no longer be possible once I have left Birmingham. I
      would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups. Aside from
      the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
      Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
      system:

      (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning, either
      in its current form or in its earlier incarnations under egroups and
      FindMail. A switch to Yahoo!Groups also for the hosting of the list
      would provide continuity, with the archives all in the same place.

      (2) The move will allow people to manage their Synoptic-L
      subscriptions for the first time. In other words, you won't have the
      clunky business of working with majordomo, nor will you have to keep
      emailing me.

      (3) You'll be able to manage your subscriptions to several e-lists at
      the same time if, like me, you have several Yahoo!Groups
      subscriptions. There are other advantages too, like being able to use
      an RSS feed.

      (4) The mixture of remote hosting (in this case Birmingham) and
      Yahoo!Groups archiving, once common, is now much less so. This has
      caused some confusion. I sometimes get emails from people who think
      that they have subscribed to the group when they have, in fact, simply
      subscribed to the archive. And so on. In other words, it'll save me
      a lot of time.

      I know that when I raised the issue once before, there was some
      opposition to it, largely because of Yahoo!Groups' advertising, but I
      hope that now the change is forced on us, the advantages will in any
      case become plain and will outweigh the problems of the advertising.

      I've alredy consulted the coordinators and have heard back from
      Stephen Carlson and Thomas Longstaff, both of whom are in favour of
      the move. I will wait for any feedback now from the group more
      broadly before acting, but if all is well I plan to transfer the
      membership from majordomo to Yahoo!Groups in the near future.

      With best wishes

      Dept of Theology and Religion
      University of Birmingham
      Elmfield House, Selly Oak tel.+44 121 414 7512
      Birmingham B29 6LQ UK fax: +44 121 415 8376

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com

    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
        Transfer on friend!

        Jim

        --
        D. Jim West

      • Joseph Weaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
          On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
          > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
          > Aside from
          > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
          > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
          > system:
          >
          > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...

          If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
          highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
          http://groups-beta.google.com/

          Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
          text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
          Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
          Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
          call.
          My 2¢,
          Joe

        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005

            Joseph Weaks wrote:

            > On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
            > > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
            > > Aside from
            > > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
            > > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
            > > system:
            > >
            > > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...
            >
            > If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
            > highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
            > http://groups-beta.google.com/
            >
            > Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
            > text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
            > Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
            > Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
            > call.
            > My 2¢,
            > Joe

            Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?

            Jeffrey

            --

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

            1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
            Chicago, IL 60626

            jgibson000@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
              At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
              >Joseph Weaks wrote:
              >> On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
              >> > ... I would like to propose moving the list now to Yahoo!Groups.
              >> > Aside from
              >> > the fact that we don't have a reasonable alternative, the move to
              >> > Yahoo!Groups in any case has several advantages over the current
              >> > system:
              >> >
              >> > (1) Yahoo!Groups has archived Synoptic-L since the beginning...
              >>
              >> If it weren't for the conjoined archive of which you speak, I would
              >> highly suggest Google Groups over Yahoo any day of the week.
              >> http://groups-beta.google.com/
              >>
              >> Google Groups has all the other advantages of which you speak, and the
              >> text-based ad system of Google's policy is spectacularly non-intrusive.
              >> Also, the searching/archiving system is quite superior.
              >> Whether this archive continuity is enough to put up with Yahoo is your
              >> call.
              >> My 2¢,
              >> Joe
              >>

              >Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?

              Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
              I don't think it would be a good idea.

              Stephen

            • Joseph Weaks
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
                > At 08:09 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                >> Does Google groups allow moderating and membership approval?
                >
                > Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
                > I don't think it would be a good idea.

                I'm no longer making the argument to go with Google Groups, but I will
                answer these questions.
                Jeffrey, yes, Google Groups includes admin/moderator abilities to
                approve who gets into the group, who can post to the group, to delete
                messages, ban users, etc.
                Mark, how long ago was this that you had the difficulties, because
                Google Groups has made vast improvements over the last year? It is
                incredibly stable.
                Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it
                had, but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory
                includes an interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its
                own groups network. So, this is an errant statement.

                Cheers,
                Joe

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
                  At 10:54 AM 6/22/2005 -0500, Joseph Weaks wrote:
                  >On Jun 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
                  >>Google groups is an interface to Usenet groups, which is why
                  >>I don't think it would be a good idea.
                  >
                  >Stephen, when Google first acquired dejanews, Usenet was all that it had,
                  >but that is no longer the case. The Google Groups directory includes an
                  >interface with Usenet, but the bulk of the interface is its own groups
                  >network. So, this is an errant statement.

                  I stand corrected for implying that Google groups is still just
                  an interface to Usenet group. Their beta version permits the
                  creation of new groups, but I don't have any experience with
                  that.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 26, 2005
                    An update on the proposed move to Yahoo!Goups. Thanks for all the
                    feedback. Well, it seems it is not as straightforward a switch as I
                    had imagined. For some time, there was a simple button you could
                    press to transfer a "remote group" on Yahoo!Groups, i.e. one that
                    Yahoo!Groups only archived, to become a Yahoo!Groups hosted group.
                    Alas, no longer. So I am corresponding with Yahoo!Groups to try to
                    find out if this is still a possibility; but it's the usual dozen
                    emails before you can get any sense at all out of them on the issue,
                    endlessly re-explaining the situation. If nothing comes of that, then
                    we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
                    suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
                    existing archive, or we could just set up Synoptic-L as another group
                    on Yahoo!Groups. I'll let you know how things go as soon as I hear
                    more.

                    Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:Goodacre@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                      On Jun 26, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Mark Goodacre wrote:
                      > ...If nothing comes of that, then
                      > we could take seriously the Google Groups alternative solution
                      > suggested by Jo Weaks, and we could in theory still link in with the
                      > existing archive

                      I set up a test Google Group for the sake of comparison at
                      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Synoptic-List. (I called it
                      Synoptic-List so that Synoptic-L is still available.)

                      The access levels seem great:
                      Access level
                      Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
                      members can post messages.
                      Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
                      only moderators can post messages.
                      Restricted - People must be invited to join the group and post or read
                      messages. Your group and its archives do not appear in public Google
                      search results or the directory.

                      Setting up the group and adding email addresses is easy: just enter
                      email addresses, one per line.

                      Select a default subscription type
                       No Email  -  read this group on the web
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 27, 2005
                        Joe,

                        Thanks for that. There is a lot that I like about Google Groups and
                        if I was starting fresh, that's definitely what I'd go for. What
                        bothered me over the BNTC use of the group was the sheer number of
                        people who got in touch saying that they were unable to join it,
                        dozens of people. I've experimented with your group and it looks
                        like they have a block on linking up with a Yahoo!Groups archive, so
                        we could not go for the ideal solution, which would be to have Google
                        Groups hosting and Yahoo!Groups continuing the archiving. So for the
                        time being, I'll see if we can get any further with Yahoo!Groups and
                        the possibility of transferring to them wholesale. If we can't,
                        GoogleGroups might be the best option. I'm now on about my fifth
                        email to Yahoo!Groups and we are still going around in circles,
                        talking most of the time to borg who can only offer cut-and-paste
                        answers. But I am an optimist and hope that in the end we might
                        prevail.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                          I am about to begin the transition from majordomo at Birmingham to
                          Yahoo!Groups. The new list address will be Synoptic@yahoogroups.com.
                          You can manage your subscription from
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic/ . Full details concerning
                          subscribing and unsubscribing and the like are found on the group's
                          new homepage at http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l.

                          This should be the last message under the old address, which will now
                          be discontinued.

                          Any questions, please let me know.

                          See you over on Yahoo!