Re: [Synoptic-L] Re:Bible Dudes Website

  • Frich107@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005

      In a message dated 11/6/05 3:26:33 pm, jwest@... writes:

      I don't wish to appear contrary, but since others are expressing their
      view of Bible Dudes and it's inclusion on Jeff's grand list for his
      revision of Harris- I would disagree.  It simply demonstrates the
      "dumbing down" and "cartoonization" of biblical studies and though
      entertaining, in the long run it will prove counter-productive because
      it lends an air of unreality to the Bible.  When the Bible is made a
      cartoon- it becomes cartoonish.  Even the best scholarship, if
      bastardized, becomes, so far as the public is concerned, just another
      bit of trite drivel.

      Following on from Jim's comments, a cursoray look at the website suggests that his view is accurate in this case. The site appears to go far too far down the line of 'dumbing down'. The difference between the material there and that which can be found in standard New Testament introductions is vast, and hence I personally would feel that it would do more harm than good.

      Regards,

      Fred Rich.