[Synoptic-L] Directionality Samples

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2005
      To: Synoptic-L
      On: Directionality Samples
      From: Bruce

      For a general description of text philology lore and techniques, which most
      disconcertingly I have been unable to avoid putting together at the request
      of some Oriental colleagues, I am currently in search of good examples of
      clear directionality as between variant versions of the same text. I am
      aware of Metzger, which has some good examples of various types of error and
      their correction, and also of several rather ancient compendia for classical
      Greek or Latin, but would be glad to hear of further specimens where the
      right and wrong of two readings, and the implied directionality from the one
      to the other, impresses NT practitioners as sound, convincing, and
      philologically unproblematical. Either Synoptic or Pauline cases would be
      fine (I already have a couple of both) as representing the NT continent of
      this particular global endeavor. Trivial as well as theologically momentous
      examples are equally welcome; my Chinese readers won't know the difference.

      (I was amused to discover, in the course of plodding through this
      assignment, that there is a consciousness of scribal transmission problems
      in pre-Imperial China (that is, before 0200), and even a tale, inauthentic
      but documenting an awareness as of the date of its fabrication, of a
      successful conjectural emendation, subsequently verified a la Bentley).

      All suggestions much appreciated.

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project