[Synoptic-L] Bible Dudes Website

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
      Im my ever increasingly bleary eyed search for links with which to
      update Harris' NT Intro Web Links page I just stumbled across a series
      of pages called "Bible Dudes".

      http://bibledudes.com/bible/

      It's something that two bona fide NT scholars have created to explain
      various aspects of Biblical Criticism to the uninitiated that is
      reminiscent of the _X [Plato, Freud, Newton, etc. ]for Beginners_
      Series.

      I'd be grateful if List Members would have a look at these pages and
      tell me if they are worthwhile including in my revision.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • maluflen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005
         I would include them. They are mighty entertaining for one thing, and they seem to have serious and accurate scholarship behind them for another.

        Leonard Maluf
        Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        Weston, MA

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005
          maluflen@... wrote:

          > I would include them. They are mighty entertaining for one thing, and
          > they seem to have serious and accurate scholarship behind them for
          > another.

          I don't wish to appear contrary, but since others are expressing their
          view of Bible Dudes and it's inclusion on Jeff's grand list for his
          revision of Harris- I would disagree. It simply demonstrates the
          "dumbing down" and "cartoonization" of biblical studies and though
          entertaining, in the long run it will prove counter-productive because
          it lends an air of unreality to the Bible. When the Bible is made a
          cartoon- it becomes cartoonish. Even the best scholarship, if
          bastardized, becomes, so far as the public is concerned, just another
          bit of trite drivel.

          --
          Jim West

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005

            In a message dated 11/6/05 3:26:33 pm, jwest@... writes:

            I don't wish to appear contrary, but since others are expressing their
            view of Bible Dudes and it's inclusion on Jeff's grand list for his
            revision of Harris- I would disagree.  It simply demonstrates the
            "dumbing down" and "cartoonization" of biblical studies and though
            entertaining, in the long run it will prove counter-productive because
            it lends an air of unreality to the Bible.  When the Bible is made a
            cartoon- it becomes cartoonish.  Even the best scholarship, if
            bastardized, becomes, so far as the public is concerned, just another
            bit of trite drivel.

            Following on from Jim's comments, a cursoray look at the website suggests that his view is accurate in this case. The site appears to go far too far down the line of 'dumbing down'. The difference between the material there and that which can be found in standard New Testament introductions is vast, and hence I personally would feel that it would do more harm than good.

            Regards,

            Fred Rich.