Re: [Synoptic-L] New Testament writers' views toward Roman authority

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
      Maluflen@... wrote:
      In a message dated 6/9/2005 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jgibson000@... writes:

      Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
      Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

      Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written on the topic with reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though I don't know what he has published online.

      Does anyone here know?

      Jeffrey
      --

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

      1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
      Chicago, IL 60626

      jgibson000@...

    • John Lupia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005
        Keyfuk Leonard?

        shwaya kaman:

        Christopher A. Frilingos, Spectacles of Empire :
        Monsters, Martyrs, and the Book of Revelation
        (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press,
        2004).

        Brian J. Walsh and Sylvia C. Keesmaat, Colossians
        Remixed : Subverting the Empire (Downers Grove, Ill. :
        InterVarsity Press, 2004).

        Warren Carter, Pontius Pilate : Portraits of a Roman
        Governor (Collegeville, Minn. : Liturgical Press,
        2003).

        Peter S. Oakes, ed., Rome in the Bible and the Early
        Church (Grand Rapids, MI : Baker Academic, 2002).

        Warren Carter, Matthew and Empire : Initial
        Explorations. (Harrisburg, PA : Trinity Press
        International, 2001).

        Richard J. Cassidy, Christians and Roman Rule in the
        New Testament : new perspectives (New York :
        Crossroad, 2001).

        Richard J. Cassidy, Paul in Chains : Roman
        Imprisonment and the Letters of St. Paul (New York :
        Crossroad Pub. Co., 2001).

        Warren Carter, Matthew and the Margins : A
        Socio-political and Religious Reading. Journal for the
        study of the New Testament. Supplement series ;204
        (Sheffield, England : Sheffield Academic Press, 2000).

        Norman A. Beck, Anti-Roman Cryptograms in the New
        Testament : Symbolic Messages of Hope and Liberation
        (New York : P. Lang, 1997).

        --- Maluflen@... wrote:

        > Daylight Time,
        > jgibson000@... writes:
        >
        > > Does anyone have any suggestions for online
        > resources that discuss New
        > > Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?
        > >

        > Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written
        > on the topic with
        > reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though
        > I don't know what he has
        > published online.
        >
        > Leonard Maluf
        > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        > Weston, MA

        John N. Lupia, III
        Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
        Fax: (732) 349-3910
        God Bless America

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005

          John Lupia wrote:

          > Keyfuk Leonard?
          >
          > shwaya kaman:

          Thanks for the following.  But as my original note says, I'm looking
          for  **online** articles, texts that can be accessed online.

          Jeffrey

          --

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1