Re: [Synoptic-L] New Testament writers' views toward Roman authority

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
      In a message dated 6/9/2005 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jgibson000@... writes:

      Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
      Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

      Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written on the topic with reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though I don't know what he has published online.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
        Maluflen@... wrote:
        In a message dated 6/9/2005 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jgibson000@... writes:

        Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
        Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

        Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written on the topic with reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though I don't know what he has published online.

        Does anyone here know?

        Jeffrey
        --

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

        1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
        Chicago, IL 60626

        jgibson000@...

      • John Lupia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005
          Keyfuk Leonard?

          shwaya kaman:

          Christopher A. Frilingos, Spectacles of Empire :
          Monsters, Martyrs, and the Book of Revelation
          (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press,
          2004).

          Brian J. Walsh and Sylvia C. Keesmaat, Colossians
          Remixed : Subverting the Empire (Downers Grove, Ill. :
          InterVarsity Press, 2004).

          Warren Carter, Pontius Pilate : Portraits of a Roman
          Governor (Collegeville, Minn. : Liturgical Press,
          2003).

          Peter S. Oakes, ed., Rome in the Bible and the Early
          Church (Grand Rapids, MI : Baker Academic, 2002).

          Warren Carter, Matthew and Empire : Initial
          Explorations. (Harrisburg, PA : Trinity Press
          International, 2001).

          Richard J. Cassidy, Christians and Roman Rule in the
          New Testament : new perspectives (New York :
          Crossroad, 2001).

          Richard J. Cassidy, Paul in Chains : Roman
          Imprisonment and the Letters of St. Paul (New York :
          Crossroad Pub. Co., 2001).

          Warren Carter, Matthew and the Margins : A
          Socio-political and Religious Reading. Journal for the
          study of the New Testament. Supplement series ;204
          (Sheffield, England : Sheffield Academic Press, 2000).

          Norman A. Beck, Anti-Roman Cryptograms in the New
          Testament : Symbolic Messages of Hope and Liberation
          (New York : P. Lang, 1997).

          --- Maluflen@... wrote:

          > Daylight Time,
          > jgibson000@... writes:
          >
          > > Does anyone have any suggestions for online
          > resources that discuss New
          > > Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?
          > >

          > Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written
          > on the topic with
          > reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though
          > I don't know what he has
          > published online.
          >
          > Leonard Maluf
          > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
          > Weston, MA

          John N. Lupia, III
          Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
          Fax: (732) 349-3910
          God Bless America

        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005

            John Lupia wrote:

            > Keyfuk Leonard?
            >
            > shwaya kaman:

            Thanks for the following.  But as my original note says, I'm looking
            for  **online** articles, texts that can be accessed online.

            Jeffrey

            --

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

            1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1