[Synoptic-L] New Testament writers' views toward Roman authority

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
      Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
      Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

      I have:

      The Gospel of Rome vs. The Gospel of Jesus Christ
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/symposium/gospel.html
      An article by Marianne P. Bonz of Harvard university on the early
      Christian response to the theological challenge posed by "the gospel of
      Rome" promulgated in the Imperial Cult.. From the companion Web Site to
      the PBS Frontline Series From Jesus to Christ.

      Paul's Gospel and Caesar's Empire

      http://www.ctinquiry.org/publications/reflections_volume_2/wright.htm
      A discussion by N.T. Wright, the Bishop of Durham, that deals with the
      questions "If Paul's answer to Caesar is the empire of Jesus, what is an
      empire under the rule of this new lord?" and "How does Paul's gospel
      line up with Caesar's empire?". From The Center of Theological Inquiry
      Web Site.

      Paul and Caesar: A New Reading of Romans
      http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Paul_Caesar_Romans.htm
      An article by N.T. Wright, originally published in A Royal Priesthood:
      The Use of the Bible Ethically and Politically, ed. C. Bartholemew
      (Paternoster, 2002), that argues that within Paul's Epistle to the
      Romans stands a conscious and "direct challenge to the present ruler of
      the nations, Caesar himself".

      But I need more, especially on the attitudes taken in writings like 1
      Peter and the Pastorals or by the Gospel authors.

      With thanks in advance.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
        In a message dated 6/9/2005 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jgibson000@... writes:

        Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
        Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

        Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written on the topic with reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though I don't know what he has published online.

        Leonard Maluf
        Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
        Weston, MA
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2005
          Maluflen@... wrote:
          In a message dated 6/9/2005 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jgibson000@... writes:

          Does anyone have any suggestions for online resources that discuss New
          Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?

          Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written on the topic with reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though I don't know what he has published online.

          Does anyone here know?

          Jeffrey
          --

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

          1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
          Chicago, IL 60626

          jgibson000@...

        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005
            Keyfuk Leonard?

            shwaya kaman:

            Christopher A. Frilingos, Spectacles of Empire :
            Monsters, Martyrs, and the Book of Revelation
            (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press,
            2004).

            Brian J. Walsh and Sylvia C. Keesmaat, Colossians
            Remixed : Subverting the Empire (Downers Grove, Ill. :
            InterVarsity Press, 2004).

            Warren Carter, Pontius Pilate : Portraits of a Roman
            Governor (Collegeville, Minn. : Liturgical Press,
            2003).

            Peter S. Oakes, ed., Rome in the Bible and the Early
            Church (Grand Rapids, MI : Baker Academic, 2002).

            Warren Carter, Matthew and Empire : Initial
            Explorations. (Harrisburg, PA : Trinity Press
            International, 2001).

            Richard J. Cassidy, Christians and Roman Rule in the
            New Testament : new perspectives (New York :
            Crossroad, 2001).

            Richard J. Cassidy, Paul in Chains : Roman
            Imprisonment and the Letters of St. Paul (New York :
            Crossroad Pub. Co., 2001).

            Warren Carter, Matthew and the Margins : A
            Socio-political and Religious Reading. Journal for the
            study of the New Testament. Supplement series ;204
            (Sheffield, England : Sheffield Academic Press, 2000).

            Norman A. Beck, Anti-Roman Cryptograms in the New
            Testament : Symbolic Messages of Hope and Liberation
            (New York : P. Lang, 1997).

            --- Maluflen@... wrote:

            > Daylight Time,
            > jgibson000@... writes:
            >
            > > Does anyone have any suggestions for online
            > resources that discuss New
            > > Testament writers' views toward Roman authority?
            > >

            > Warren Carter comes to mind, as one who has written
            > on the topic with
            > reference to the gospels, especially Matthew, though
            > I don't know what he has
            > published online.
            >
            > Leonard Maluf
            > Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
            > Weston, MA

            John N. Lupia, III
            Beachwood, New Jersey 08722 USA
            Fax: (732) 349-3910
            God Bless America

          • Jeffrey B. Gibson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005

              John Lupia wrote:

              > Keyfuk Leonard?
              >
              > shwaya kaman:

              Thanks for the following.  But as my original note says, I'm looking
              for  **online** articles, texts that can be accessed online.

              Jeffrey

              --

              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

              1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1