RE: [Synoptic-L] Streeter

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
      >I have just checked the Dictionary of National Biography (online -
      >fantastic) for Streeter:

      I'm afraid my potted and prejudged account was not far wrong:

      Streeter, Burnett Hillman (1874-1937), biblical scholar, was born at
      Croydon on 17 November 1874, the only son of John Soper Streeter,
      solicitor, and his wife, Marion Walker. He was educated at King's College
      School in London, and from 1893, when he went up to Oxford with a classical
      scholarship at Queen's College, his life was that of a typical Oxford don.
      Queen's College claimed practically the whole of his academic loyalty: he
      became successively fellow, dean, and praelector (1905), chaplain (1928),
      and provost (1933). The only break was from 1899 to 1905, when he was
      fellow and dean of Pembroke College, Oxford.

      www.oxforddnb.com/

      Pete

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2005
        Does anyone know if a layout of the NT texts as implied in
        Robinson's Priority of John has been done on the web or in
        print?

        I am considering how layout impacts our thought processes
        and how assumptions are reflected in the layout chosen. I
        have some database techniques available that allow for the
        potential of quick changes in layout presentation and I am
        wondering whether it would be worth doing the experiment
        with Robinson's ideas - reflecting his assumptions and
        seeing how many pericopae are out of place at the end.
        Admittedly, I am already biased by the choice of pericopae
        in the database - I did not get down to the phrase level -
        too much work for now.

        thanks

        Bob

        Bob MacDonald
        http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
        Victoria, B.C., Canada

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2005
          I've been out of town for a while, so forgive the late response.

          At 11:52 AM 2/28/2005 +0000, Jacob Knee wrote:
          >I am really grateful. That should be me busy for a bit!

          David Peabody's list is very good. I would really add only
          chapter 6 of John Kloppenborg Verbin, EXCAVATING Q (2000).

          >What I'm tentatively suggesting is that scholarship isn't terribly
          >interested in the _history_ of interpretation. It's not the past that
          >interests them - it's the past's utility for the present.

          Part of the problem is that past scholars often approach questions
          that are not considered interesting today or adopt premises that
          are not adopt today. Another part is that prior to 1881 or so,
          scholars were still working with the Textus Receptus as their text,
          which means that some interpretive problems we have today simply
          didn't exist back then and vice versa.

          >Farmer's historical work has the kind of detail that _is_ needed. But, for
          >example, his chapter on Streeter focuses almost entirely on the minor
          >agreements and IMO history interests him in order to explain how the, in his
          >view, erroneous 2DH became the predominant theory in his own day. So, his
          >history is more or less a cataloguing of error. So to say, 'where did it all
          >go wrong'.

          Farmer's book mainly has two targets in mind: the 2DH and the Griesbach
          Hypothesis (later to termed the 2GH), which means that the details of
          the views of scholars who support other solutions tend to get lost in his
          historical overview when those details are not on point with either the
          2DH or the 2GH.

          As for Farmer's treatment of Streeter, I think he focused correctly on
          Streeter's actual contribution in his FOUR GOSPELS (1924) to the 2DH,
          which was the disposing of the last set of Minor Agreements (MAs) that
          continued to prop up Ur-Markus. Streeter barely argued otherwise for
          Markan priority and the arguments he did make were largely fallacious.

          >What made me think of this was - in the introduction to 'Oxford Studies'
          >Sanday writes (Page Xxiii) that 'the positions mainly defended by Sir John
          >Hawkins and Mr. Streeter are held by a considerable majority of scholars'. I
          >immediately thought - is that true - and didn't know where to go to begin to
          >check it.

          I've found that the various New Testament Introductions published around
          that time (e.g. A. Juelicher in 1904) to be a useful gauge of contemporary
          opinion.

        • Tim Reynolds
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
            on 2/27/05 7:18 PM, David Barrett Peabody at dbpeabody@... wrote:

> [...]
            > Testament" is not "a meaningful field of inquiry." One needs to think
            > rather, at the very least, of the period from Alexander the Great to
            > Constantine in order to put the study of the New Testament into an
            > historically meaningful field of inquiry.
            >
            > I believe something comparable could be said about the history of
            > Synoptic Problem scholarship. To begin much, if any, later than the
            > Enlightenment, at least in discussing the history of what Dungan has
            > labeled at least a third type of synoptic problem, is to place the
            > history of that problem outside of a historically
            > meaningful field of inquiry. Therefore, any history of the discussion
            > of the synoptic problem that would begin in 1910 would be inadequate,
            > as most scholars who have written on this topic would agree and have
            > demonstrated by how they have approached the subject.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > David Barrett Peabody
            > Professor of Religion
            > Nebraska Wesleyan University
            > 5000 St. Paul Ave.
            > Lincoln, NE 68504
            > Office Phone: (402) 465-2302
            > WEB site: www.nebrwesleyan.edu/people/dbp/index.html
            >

            >> Quoting Jacob Knee <zen20458@...>:
            >
            >> Hi Jeffrey,
            >>
            >> Many thanks for the references.
            >>
            >> I know the Neil and Wright book - it's a good book - but it's 'the
            >> big
            >> picture' (as it has to be). Introductions too eg Kummel's see things
            >> from a
            >> great height (major scholars, major works) - they have to - they're
            >> covering
            >> much territory very rapidly (eg the entire history of the synoptic
            >> problem
            >> in the revised Kummel is 8 pages - followed by 28 pages arguing for
            >> his
            >> preferred solution).
            >>
            >> If you want say, a detailed study of the history of the synoptic
            >> problem in
            >> scholarship (Dungan's book is doing something different IMO) then
            >> AFAIK
            >> we're waiting for Stephen Carlson to write it.
            >>
            >> NT Journals don't seem to publish 'history of interpretation'
            >> articles often
            >> and where they do, it usually seems to be summarizing developments
            >> over the
            >> last, say the last 10 years. When theses are published the history
            >> of
            >> interpretation chapter is often stripped back or removed entirely.
            >>
            >> Clearly if you want to plough through the smallest details of a
            >> debate then
            >> you need to go back to scholars' papers, journal articles and so
            >> forth. The
            >> lack I feel, is that there seems little in between an 8 page summary
            >> in
            >> Kummel and having to work through, say, Streeter's private papers (if
            >> such
            >> exist) and JTS' from 1910. Where are the modern book length studies?

            After the penny drops, the armature will go:

            Vol. I: The Missing Piece: Reimarus to the Clementine

            Vol. II: The Bottleneck: The Clementine to Bryan Wilson

            Vol. III: Mopping Up

            One David Hilbert: "One can measure the importance of a scientific work by
            the number of earlier publications rendered superfluous by it." All those
            Geschictliche tomes will have to be recalled, like Pintos.

            For latecomers, the suggestion is that the endemic trivial textual
            disagreements among Mk, Mt and Lk are produced by the same mechanism that
            generates the same phenomenon in Shakespeare's "bad" quartos relative to his
            most popular plays, the holographs of which were locked in a backstage
            trunk. Jonathan Pollard first isolated these "memorial reconstructions" in
            1908.

            khazak v'ematz,

            tim