RE: [Synoptic-L] streeter and matthean apocalyptic

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2005
      Jacob Knee wrote:

      > I learned in Dale Allison's excellent essay in the recent collection,
      > 'Apocalypticism, Anti-Semitism and the Historical Jesus' that F.C.
      > Burkitt was an enthusiastic supporter of Weiss and Schweitzer.
      > Burkitt sounded so interesting it made me actually look at Amazon to
      > see what of his was still in print.
      >
      > Finally, Dean Inge - always a bit of a rent-a-quote (as he said of
      > himself, 'Inge as in sting, not inge as in whinge') - described
      > Schweitzer's work as 'blasphemous' in 1910 review in JTS.

      What you say about both Burkitt and Inge surprises me: I would have expected
      Burkitt to give apocalyptic the same cold reception that Streeter gave it,
      and Inge to give it a warmer reception.

      In the words of Rod Stewart, "Look how wrong you can be."

      I wonder if there's an essay out there tracing scholarly opinions on
      apocalyptic, both pre- and post-Schweitzer.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio

    • Jacob Knee
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25, 2005
        Mark Chapman, The Coming Crisis: The Impact of Eschatology on Theology in
        Edwardian England (JSNTS 208).

        FWIW available for $26 at Amazon.com:

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/1841271853/qid=1109362886/sr=
        1-1/ref=sr_pb_a//104-3759134-6252714?condition=all

        Best wishes,
        Jacob Knee
        (Cam, Glos.)

        PS Usual disclaimers about no financial connection...

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25, 2005
          Thanks, Jacob. Do you know whether this is this the same Mark Chapman who
          wrote a book on Troeltsch and a Heythrop Journal article on "Why the
          Enlightenment Project Doesn't Have to Fail" (both excellent reading, by the
          way)?

          John C. Poirier
          Middletown, Ohio

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 2005
            It is. He's Vice Principal of Ripon College, Cuddesdon an Anglican
            Theological College here in the UK.

            He's a bibliography to download if it's helpful. It comes as an .rtf file
            (watch the wrap)

            http://www.oxford.anglican.org/rcc/Word_Documents/Mark_Chapman_publications.
            rtf

            Best wishes,