9838Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

    Sep 26, 2004
      In a message dated 9/24/2004 3:18:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgentil@... writes:

      Maybe I could just give a philosophical answer. What do I believe the study
      proves?

      Nothing at all.  I believe absolute proof of anything is impossible.

      What the study demonstrates is that when vocabulary frequencies are
      examined, that form of evidence indicates a strong probability of Markian
      priority.

      What I would like is a fuller statement of your argument, as opposed to simply discussing its formal value, or stating what you believe to be its result or conclusion. I suspect that there are presuppositions in your argument that I would have serious problems with, but I can't say so for sure until you lay it out a bit more fully. It is not sufficient to say that such a fuller exposition can be found in Synoptic-L archives. You are writing on this list to an audience which should not be presumed to be familiar with those archives, and are stating that you have made a significant argument in favor of Markan priority, based on vocabulary statistics. I think you have to be able to describe or rehearse that argument with sufficient fulness to insure that list members don't have to simply take your word for it when you pronounce on its merit. Then I could proceed to either reject your argument, or perhaps to accept it, and then go on to air the numerous other possible arguments, also based on vocabulary statistics, that would favor Matthean priority. Thanks.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic