9832Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

  • dgentil@sears.com
    Sep 24, 2004
      Leonard,

      Maybe I could just give a philosophical answer. What do I believe the study
      proves?

      Nothing at all. I believe absolute proof of anything is impossible.

      What the study demonstrates is that when vocabulary frequencies are
      examined, that form of evidence indicates a strong probability of Markian
      priority.

      However, it is always possible that if more evidence, of other sorts, were
      considered, the probability of Markian priority could be reduced or even
      reversed. (Updating probabilities in this way is either an implicit or
      explicit application of Bayes's theorem.) But, I think that it would
      require a quite substantial amount of evidence to change the probable
      conclusion.

      What macro features are you referring to? I recall that you have said that
      the large scale structure of the synoptics seems most consistent with
      Markian priority, but that your disagreement was with the details.

      .
      Sincerely,
      Dave Gentile

      Dave Gentile
      M.S. Physics
      M.S. Finance
      Riverside, IL

      Maluflen@...
      Sent by: To: GentDave@..., synoptic-l@...
      owner-synoptic-l@ cc:
      bham.ac.uk Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] documentary independence

      09/20/2004 07:32
      PM

      In a message dated 9/19/2004 9:16:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      GentDave@... writes:

      I posted this because there are people here who may not be familiar with
      earlier discussions on this list. If you, or others have specific
      questions
      about material presented on the web pages, I'd be happy to try to answer
      those question, since that might help me improve the site.

      I would just like to hear you express verbally, in somewhat fuller form,
      what you think your tables of statistics prove and why. The reason I say
      this is because your less fully stated interpretation of your verbal
      statistics does not match with my interpretation of more macro observations
      -- such as the fact that the common Synoptic material is in general more
      demonstrably Matthean in origin than it is Markan in origin. It would be
      nice if the statistics re-inforced, rather than contradicted, sound
      evaluation of the evidence based on macro observations.

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA