9770Re: [Synoptic-L] Jesus' Baptism

  • Jim West
    Jun 2, 2004
      At 01:56 PM 6/2/04 -0400, you wrote:
      >A little input from a "silent partner" ... what if Jesus was not baptised at
      >all but this information was added/invented to give authenticity to a new
      >faith? The event of Jesus' baptism is the starting point of his ministry and
      >without it , it could it be seen that he had no "credentials" ~~
      >Could this be worth considering?

      I think, first, that the notion that the writers of the Gospel thought of
      themselves as the purveyors of a new religion is mistaken. They saw
      themselves as Jews (save Luke) who were calling on their kindred to believe
      that Jesus was the promised Messiah. So there would have been no need for
      them to justify something that they didn't even think about being a new faith.

      Second, baptism as the beginning point of "credentialed" ministry would have
      seemed a strange and foreign notion to them. Baptism, in its johannine
      context (the baptizer that is) was a visible representation of personal
      repentence, not a first step in salvation (as conceived by many today).
      John baptized folk because folk were in need of repentence because they had
      not lived up to what it meant to be "Israel". Jesus was baptized,
      evidently, for the same reason. Not to begin a new ministry.

      To be sure, later on his followers saw this as the beginning of his earthly
      ministry- but as to whether or not Jesus saw it that way is highly debatable.

      Best

      Jim