9276Re: [Synoptic-L] Trusting the text

  • Dennis Sullivan
    Aug 31, 2003
      I agree, Bob, that you have found one of the many difficulties in Mark. IMO,
      there are quite a few that need examination.

      Several years ago I, too, did the synopsis coloring exercise in the older
      RSV version of Throckmorton's, also referring to Huck's Greek Synopsis.

      Even though I don't necessarily endorse the idea of Markan posteriority, the
      process of coloring can highlight passages that seem to point in that
      direction.

      I used red, yellow, green and orange to organize double and triple tradition
      phrases, and later used blue to color material unique to Mark. The colors
      taken together can certainly appear to support Markan posteriority, as well
      as pointing up Mark's tendency toward "language of excitement" when adding
      his color to units he possibly "picked up" from Matthew or Luke. (I posted a
      collection of Mark's unique sections to this list several years ago under
      the subject line of "Mark's creativity".)

      Such a hypothesis would help to explain Mark's "great excursion" usually
      referred to as the "great Lukan omission", since, on this hypothesis, Luke
      never saw Mark's version. This section also contains Mark's "U-turn on the
      lake" and yeshua's trip to the decapolis, the feeding of the four thousand,
      and the visits to Tyre and Sidon before rejoining Luke's account at the
      point of returning from this Markan excursion. (This pointed out by R.Steven
      Notley on Synoptic-L some months ago.)

      This leaves us guessing as to what happened here: Did Mark have access to
      another source unknown to either Luke or Matthew, or did he simply create
      the whole story by adapting similar passages to accommodate the
      sensibilities of his gentile readers by sending yeshua to visit the
      gentiles? And, did Mark adapt the Tyre/Sidon journey from Matthew, or was
      Matthew, writing later, influenced by Mark to include this in his gospel.
      ( I realize I just switched hypotheses here...)

      IMO,David Barrett Peabody has "nailed it" when he wrote of coloring a
      synopsis, "...there is no better way to master the relevant evidence and the
      intricacies of the Synoptic Problem".

      kol tuv (all the best),

      Dennis Sullivan
      Dayton, Ohio