9272Re: [Synoptic-L] boismard

  • Tim Reynolds
    Aug 17, 2003
      on 8/14/03 1:02 PM, Karel Hanhart at k.hanhart@... wrote:

> [...]

      Mk5.39, Funk: and says to them ³Why are you carrying on like this?²

      Mt9.24: he said, ³Go away ...²

      Lk8.53: but he said, ³Do not weep ...²

      legei autois ti thorubesthe kai klaiete

      elegen anakhoreite

      ho de eipen me klaiete

      Since 1998 I have been suggesting from time to time that these texts bear
      the same relation to one another as:

      To be or not to be, aye, that¹s the point

      The above is of course from the ³Bad Quarto² of Hamlet, a specimen of what
      Shakespearean scholars call ³auditory piracy²: the target text is
      memorized and subsequently reproduced as well as can be expected from a text
      presented in an oral venue. There are a variety of examples of the genre
      extant, mostly sermons and plays. The originals and the ³pirated² versions
      show the endemic minor disagreements characterizing the Synoptic texts.

      Morton Smith¹s Clement letter describes an orally presented Markan
      manuscript in Alexandria:

      ³Thus, in sum, [Mark] prepared matters, neither grudgingly nor incautiously,
      in my opinion, and, dying, he left his composition to the church in
      Alexandria, where it even yet is most carefully guarded, being read only to
      those who are being initiated into the great mysteries.²

      Think about it.

      Tim Reynolds
      Long Beach CA USA