7441[Synoptic-L] a new approach to the correlations

    Jan 2, 2002
      Dave Gentile wrote --

      >But here is the key point:
      >Relative to the frequency in the synoptics as a whole, the frequency of
      >common Greek words in Sonndergut Matthew significantly correlates with
      >the frequency of common Greek words found in the double tradition of
      >Luke. We don't even need to talk about any other results, techniques,
      >or HBB categories. Other than a common source, what could explain this?
      >I have no doubt that Matthew and/or Luke add their own influences, but
      >they correlate anyway. Why?

      Dave,
      Because, by definition of "double tradition", the words of the
      double tradition in Luke are identical with the words of the double
      tradition in Matthew. That is what "202" means. The first "2" and the
      second "2" refer to exactly the same words. The significant positive
      correlation 202/200 is therefore not only between the words of the
      double tradition in Luke and the words of Sondergut Matthew, but also
      between the words of **Matthew** in the double tradition and the words
      of **Matthew** in Sondergut Matthew. So we have the same synoptist
      redacting. And so we can account for the significant positive as the
      result of the same synoptist having redacted the same material. We have
      no need whatsoever to appeal to any hypothesis that the same source, or
      different sources, have been used. The significant positive correlation
      observed can be explained entirely on the basis of the hypothesis that
      the "same words" indicate redaction by one synoptist, and "different
      words" indicate that different synoptists have redacted.

      _