7086Re: [Synoptic-L] Some numerical results

  • Ron Price
    Dec 2, 2001
      Dave,
      What surprises me about this whole discussion is that you have been
      trying to make sense of a set of results which represents a small
      proportion of the published data, and apparently (unless I've missed
      something) without any attempt to check for overall consistency.
      Before attempting to explain individual positive and negative
      correlations, I would like to see a consistency check along the
      following lines.
      Divide the words up into three or four groups by first letter, e.g.
      A-D, E-K, L-P, R-W, then carry out the analysis on each group, then
      compare the correlations. Any disagreements among the correlations might
      suggest there is something wrong with the method or with our implicit
      generalization from a subset of the data. If they were all in agreement,
      then we really would feel obliged to try hard to explain them.
      If the whole alphabet is too much to tackle, carry out this procedure
      with a subset of the alphabet divided into groups.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...