7Re: Synoptic-L Test

  • Mahlon H. Smith
    Feb 10 11:51 PM
      Carl William Conrad wrote:

      > On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Edgar Krentz wrote:
      >
      > > >This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
      > > >running.
      > > >
      > > >Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
      > > >that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
      > > >of the synoptic problem. Any takers?
      > > >
      > > >Here is a first attempt:
      > > >
      > > >The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
      > > >literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.
      > > >
      > > >Stephen Carlson
      > >
      > > Good succinct definition. I would add "and the investigation of
      > > reonstructed non-surviving sources."
      >
      > But presumably we are talking about WRITTEN sources here, however
      > hypothetical, and not just about oral tradition, I presume.
      >
      > Carl W. Conrad

      I'll accept your qualification, Carl, as long as it is not designed to
      exclude consideration of the interrelationship of oral tradition &
      written documents in the formation of the synoptic gospels. I don't see
      how a purely literary definition of the synoptic problem can be defended
      at this stage in the history of gospel research. Let me see if I can
      integrate what we have so far into a succinct definition:

      "The synoptic problem is (1) an inquiry into the existence and nature of
      the literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and
      Luke,(2)investigation of reconstructed non-surviving written sources,
      and (3)exploration of the influence of oral tradition upon the
      development of manuscripts of these gospels."

      Mahlon H. Smith
      Department of Religion
      Rutgers University
      New Brunswick, NJ 08901