6637Re: [Synoptic-L] CD of color-coded synopsis

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Aug 7, 2001
      If I may respond ....

      > David B. Peabody wrote --
      > >
      > >Since we are publishing a new and improved version of this synopsis
      > >with Trinity Press International this fall, we are not allowed to
      > >display the newer version on the WEB. However, this new Markan Synopsis
      > >on CD-ROM is advertised in the fall 2001 Trinity catalog to sell for $
      > >30.00. We, therefore, do not expect that this price will prohibit
      > >anyone from purchasing and utilizing this new software.
      > >

      > Congratulations in advance to yourself and Tom Longstaff.
      >
      > What name is the work given in the catalog of Trinity Press
      > International, please?

      In the Fall 2001 issue of the Trinity Press International catalog you will
      find the
      work referred to on page 6. At the top of the page is the announcement of a
      book entitled ONE GOSPEL FROM TWO: MARK'S USE OF MATTHEW
      AND LUKE. This work follows-up the earlier volume, BEYOND THE Q
      IMPASSE. Each of these works is a commentary on the Gospel using the
      Two Gospel (or Griesbach) hypothesis. Thus it responds to those who have
      asked for such a fuller treatment of the gospels, rather than discussions of
      one (or only a few) pericopae.

      At the bottom of the page, under the heading "Also Available," you will find
      reference to A SYNOPSIS OF MARK. David Dungan's two essays on
      synoptic construction will also appear on this CD.

      > Would you be prepared to say in what sense you see the work as a "Markan
      > Synopsis"?

      That question is easily answered. The Synopsis of Mark that will be
      available
      later this year includes the complete text of Mark's gospel with the
      parallel
      texts in Matthew in Luke in adjacent columns. Those who look at this
      synopsis
      will see that we have taken a different approach than the standard synopses
      to those places where multiple parallels might be identified. The structure
      of
      this synopsis reflects the structure of the analysis of Mark in the book to
      which
      it is related. Material common to Matthew and Luke but not in Mark (which,
      on
      the Two Document Hypothesis would be identified as Q material) does not, of
      course, appear at all. Neither does material unique to Matthew or Luke. In
      that sense the synopsis is a limited one, a synopsis that highlights the
      parallels
      to Mark - and in that sense it is a "Markan synopsis."

      As we have noted, David Peabody and I intend to follow-up this synopsis of
      Mark (with the parallels in Matthew and Luke) with a more conventional and
      complete synopsis, including all of the material in Matthew, Mark and Luke.
      It will be necessary for us to use a different structure (following Mark's
      outline
      might not produce the best modern synopsis - although it works well for an
      analysis of Mark). The synopsis of the synoptic gospels, unlike the Markan
      synopsis, will include the material common to Matthew and Luke not found in

      Needless to say, David Peabody and I are following the current discussion
      with a good deal of interest and taking seriously many of the comments about
      color-coded synopses. Obviously, we are less pessimistic about their
      usefulness than some participants in the discussion - which does not mean
      that we do not consider the comments made by those contributors. We
      appreciate the discussion and are informed by it.

      > Am I right that in your country a printed synopsis with no colors would
      > cost more than $30? Printed synopses tend to be on the more expensive
      > side in the UK because of their large pages. The price of the CD is
      > surely very reasonable.

      This is probably correct although I acknowledge that my voice is not an
      authoritative one on this issue.

      > I find that I use different synopses for different purposes. Each seems
      > to have its own particular advantages. I would want to add your synopsis
      > to my collection. I anticipate that your new creation will have its own
      > special uses and be widely used and quoted.

      The synopsis coming out this fall will have special use in connection with
      the Gospel of Mark and parallels to that gospel in Matthew and Luke.
      While we acknowledge that we have made no attempt to create this
      synopsis free of a presumed solution to the synoptic problem, we are
      convinced that it will be useful to those working with the text of Mark,
      even if they are working with a different hypothesis. We think that we
      have created the most exhaustive (and exhausting) display of the parallels
      to Mark that has yet been produced.

      How widely it will be used or cited remains to be seen.

      With good wishes,

      Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Crawford Family Professor
      Department of Religious Studies