6629Re: [Synoptic-L] the failure of color coding

    Aug 5, 2001
      >Stephen Carlson wrote --
      >>After reading this thread, I have no idea, if any, what the failure of
      >>color coding is supposed to be.
      >>
      >Every color code system fails to code all significant similarities of
      >wording between the synoptic gospels.

      You said this before. It didn't make sense then, and it still does
      not make sense now even after being repeated. It might be more helpful
      to explain what is meant and address the valid points others brought
      up, rather than to repeat oneself in pretty much the identical words.

      >W. R. Farmer saw the truth of this, and admitted that it applied to his
      >*Synopticon*.

      It does not seem valid to generalize Farmer's admission of
      leaving "some POSSIBLY significant agreements unmarked"
      (emphasis added) in his synopticon to "EVERY color code
      system fails to code ALL SIGNIFICANT similarities"
      (emphasis added) as asserted and reiterated in this thread.

      Farmer's flaw, which was later discovered by Dungan, was
      that his attempt to "determine the nature and extent of
      the verbatim agreements among the Synoptic Gospels WITHOUT
      ANY REFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR SOURCE THEORY" (emphasis
      added) is impossible. That, I submit is the problem,
      not the color coding.

      Therefore, it seems that the imaginary failure of color
      coding has no relevance to solving the synoptic problem.