6621Re: [Synoptic-L] the failure of color coding

  • David B. Peabody
    Aug 1, 2001
      Quoting Emmanuel Fritsch <emmanuel.fritsch@...>:

      > > These are some of the most complex patterns for a set of only three
      > gospel
      > > contexts in parallel, but I hope you get the idea of how this system
      > works for
      > > less complex cases.
      >
      > And for more complex cas ? Is it possible for instance
      > to visualise in this system the Lk-Jn agreements ?
      >
      > a+
      > manu

      At the simplest level, of course, it is possible to illustrate Lk-Jn agreements.
      That is, if the parallel is between Lk and Jn alone, one just adds another color
      to the mix and maintains the distinction between full (verbatim agreements) and
      dotted underlining (verbal similarities; same lexeme, different grammatical
      form). I have done this, for instance, in Mk 16:9-20.

      If I would have had to indicate the verbal interrelationships among all four of
      the gospels, however, I am not sure how I would have dealt with that.

      Here is the note Tom Longstaff and I composed on the special color coding
      utilized only in Mk 16:9-20.

      -----------Quoting

      A more complex system of color coding has been adopted for this pericope.

      magenta identifies agreements between Mt and Jn;
      purple identifies agreements between Lk and Jn;
      cyan (agreements between Mt and Mk) is extended to agreements among Mt, Mk and
      Jn;
      blue (agreements among Mt, Mk and Lk) is extended to agreements among Mt, Mk, Lk
      and Jn
      green (agreements between Mk and Lk) is extended to agreements among Mk, Lk, and
      Jn;
      red (as always) identifies agreements beteen Mt and Lk.

      ---------End of Quotation.

      Given the results of our early experiments with colors on screen (see below), it
      will be interesting to find out what colleagues have to say about the color
      coding of this one pericope.

      Publishing in an electronic form has its limits. The color pallet in MS-WORD is
      rather limited and many of the colors, even in that pallet, are unsuitable for
      display on a screen with a white background. Of course, there would be
      comparable, but different, color-distinguishing problems on a dark background.

      In the color coding experiments we did, Tom and I had complaints from colleagues
      about not being able to distinguish magenta from red on screen. We, therefore,
      substituted cyan for magenta, but cyan appears rather light on screen and others
      had trouble reading it and/or distinguishing it from blue.

      Yellow is almost invisible and, therefore, unreadable against a white background.
      Many of the darker colors, on the other hand, are hardly distinguishable on
      screen from black.

      So, here we are. I believe Tom and I have done as well as can be done on a white
      background with the 256 "safe" colors available for good cross platform use, but
      even we are not completely satisfied. I wish we had a good alternative for cyan,
      for instance, but we don't, if magenta is not easily distinguishable from red.

      If screen resolutions improve and/or color pallets in major word processing
      programs expand in the future, we and/or others no doubt will be able to improve
      on our forthcoming work. For now, however, we offer to others what we believe to
      be the best of the possibilities we had available, given the current state of
      hardware and software development. Others will have to judge whether or not we
      have suceeded in this goal with this particular coding system.

      David Barrett Peabody