5944Re: [Synoptic-L] Luke knew Matthew: Three versions

    Apr 10, 2001
      In a message dated 4/10/2001 1:06:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      pmh15@... writes:

      << Thanks Leonard, that is worth pondering, although there is a bit more stuff
      in inter alia de Wette, Bleek, Davidson. There may be some more detail
      again in old material from the T¨bingen school. By the way I find your
      confession re Griesbach somewhat surprising (although your sources are
      surely right at this point).>>

      My thanks to Stephen Carlson for clearing up the business about Griesbach by
      distinguishing between two of his major works that addressed the issue. It
      might interest you to know, Peter, that my own strong adherence to the
      Griesbach position is a result of work with the Greek texts of the Gospels,
      not the result of having been pursuaded by the arguments of scholars. I am
      probably considerably less literate in the writings of the so-called "Farmer
      school" than is Stephen Carlson (and probably you) as well. To continue our
      game of trivia in Synoptic source theories, I wonder if anyone on the list
      (you, for instance) would be prepared to jump a century from Griesbach and
      classify the position on the Synoptic Problem (and on the question of Luke's
      knowledge and use of Matthew) of the great mid-19th century Erlangen scholar,
      Franz Delitzsch? Hint: he did write on the topic, more or less explicitly.