5758Re: [Synoptic-L] The Existence of Q

  • Ron Price
    Mar 2, 2001
      I wrote:

      >> Suppose we come across a novel by an unknown author with no indication
      >>of its date of publication. In the middle of the novel we come across
      >>the phrase: "to boldly go where no man has gone before".
      >> As in the synoptic case, there are three main possibilities.
      >>(1) Star Trek copied it from the novel.
      >>(2) The novel copied it from Star Trek
      >>(3) Star Trek and the novel are dependent on a common source for the
      >>phrase.
      >> Which is the most likely? I would guess in this case that there is of
      >>the order of 99% probability that the novel copied from Star Trek. What
      >>do you think?

      Stephen Carlson replied:

      >It seems to me that all three options are possible. The main
      >thing going for option (2) is that Star Trek was disseminated
      >very widely and the novel was not .......
      >Here's where the analogy to the synoptics breaks down: we
      >don't know how widely disseminated the gospels were in the
      >first century.

      Stephen,
      But there is other evidence that Luke knew Matthew, evidence which is
      completely independent of the claimed Mattheanisms: "weeping and
      gnashing of teeth" and ANQRWPOS+noun. There's Luke 1:1. There's the
      naming and framing of the Sermon on the Plain which looks as if it's
      based on the Sermon on the Mount. There are the double tradition
      pericopae which seem to be dependent on their Matthean context, as Mark
      Goodacre is rightly keen to point out. All this evidence relates to the
      specific case, and is at least as strong in favour of Luke's knowledge
      of Matthew, as the dissemination of Star Trek is in favour of the
      novel's knowledge of Star Trek, especially bearing in mind that in our
      analogy as stated we do not know whether the novel was published before
      or after the first episode of Star Trek.
      We have no need to consider the general dissemination of the gospels
      in the first century, unless you can show that Luke's knowledge of
      Matthew is distinctly unlikely from a dissemination point of view, which
      I'm sure you can't. The above evidence for Luke's knowledge of Matthew
      tells us everything we need to know about the dissemination of Matthew,
      i.e. a copy found its way to Luke.
      Thus the analogy holds, unless anyone can come up with a better
      argument against it.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...