5757[Synoptic-L] Arguments for indirect dependence

    Mar 2, 2001
      Brian Wilson wrote --
      >I would suggest that each of these arguments is to show that probably
      >there was at least one documentary ancestor of all three synoptic
      Joe Alward replied --
      >Wouldn't that be the Old Testament?
      A very good question! That is, presuming you mean the OT in Hebrew.

      It is significant that each synoptic gospel contains quotations and
      allusions to the OT of which some contain agreements in wording with the
      Hebrew text against the wording of the Greek text of the LXX. These
      agreements with Hebrew against Greek wording are distributed in a way
      which is consistent with all three synoptic gospels being indirectly
      dependent on the Hebrew OT.

      This fits remarkably well with the idea that all three synoptic gospels
      are descendants of an Aramaic documentary source. For any OT quotations
      and allusions in such an Aramaic source would presumably have been based
      on the wording of the Hebrew OT, and not of the Greek LXX.

      In my view, all three synoptic gospels were directly dependent on a
      common Greek document that was a translation of an Aramaic document that
      contained OT quotations and allusions based on the Hebrew wording of the
      OT in Hebrew.

      So my answer to your question is, "Ultimately, yes". That is to say,
      the Hebrew OT was a common ancestor three generations of document before
      each synoptic gospel.

      The progression was Hebrew OT --> Aramaic Logia --> Greek Logia -->
      synoptic gospel.

      To give an example. The cry of dereliction from the cross, "My God, my
      God, why have you forsaken me?" in Mk 15 and Mt 27, did not originate
      from the Greek LXX because that has an additional petition -- "O God, my
      God, ATTEND TO ME. Why have you forsaken me?" Since the wording of the
      cry agrees with the Hebrew against the LXX, and since it is in Aramaic,
      it very probably was Aramaic translating the Hebrew OT wording. In my
      view, this Aramaic rendering of the OT Hebrew wording was recorded in
      the apostle Matthew's Aramaic Logia, which were translated to form the
      Greek Logia which were used independently by each synoptist, including
      Matthew and Mark. So ultimately the cry of dereliction in Matthew and
      Mark is not derived from the LXX in Greek, but is a third generation
      documentary descendant of wording from the OT in Hebrew.