5754Re: [Synoptic-L] The Existence of Q

    Mar 1 8:42 PM
      At 09:05 PM 3/1/01 +0000, Ron Price wrote:
      > Suppose we come across a novel by an unknown author with no indication
      >of its date of publication. In the middle of the novel we come across
      >the phrase: "to boldly go where no man has gone before".
      > As in the synoptic case, there are three main possibilities.
      >(1) Star Trek copied it from the novel.
      >(2) The novel copied it from Star Trek
      >(3) Star Trek and the novel are dependent on a common source for the
      >phrase.
      > Which is the most likely? I would guess in this case that there is of
      >the order of 99% probability that the novel copied from Star Trek. What
      >do you think?

      It seems to me that all three options are possible. The main
      thing going for option (2) is that Star Trek was disseminated
      very widely and the novel was not. Therefore, there are more
      opportunities for the novel to use Star Trek than for reverse
      to happen (or for the unknown common source to be used).

      Here's where the analogy to the synoptics breaks down: we
      don't know how widely disseminated the gospels were in the
      first century.

      > Returning to the synoptics, "weeping and gnashing of teeth" and
      >ANQRWPOS+noun (each 6 times in Mt) are sufficiently strange that if
      >there were no other considerations we might reasonably allocate in each
      >case a modest above average probability (say something around 80%) that
      >the odd Lukan occurrence arose from Luke copying Matthew. Of course this
      >probability would increase if we were really confident on other grounds
      >(which I think we should be) that Luke knew Matthew.

      I believe the standard answer is that Matthew saw "weeping and
      gnashing of teeth" the one time in Q, liked it, and recycled it
      several times, while Luke did not take a fancy to it. This
      phrase is sufficiently striking to conclude that there may be
      some kind of literary link, but I am unable to distinguish
      whether it is original to Matthew or derived and inspired from
      Q, Luke, or other source.