5254[Synoptic-L] The Critical Edition of Q

  • Steven Craig Miller
    Nov 25, 2000
      To: John C. Poirier,

      << I may be wrong, but I always thought that the term "critical edition"
      was to be taken as a single idea, *viz.* that what is "critical" is the
      work of "edition", and that the work so designated was therefore implied to
      be a "text-critical" edition. Am I wrong, or are there examples of other
      non-text-critical "critical editions" of works? >>

      I believe that you are correct that the term "critical edition" often, or
      usually, implies a text-critical edition.

      << Has the IQP invented a new genre of reference work? >>

      How many hypothetical reconstructions of (supposedly) non-extant texts have
      you read?

      << I wonder who is responsible for the title of this book. A title like
      "The Scholar's Edition of Q" would have been much better. >>

      Gesh ... does the title really deserve such nitpicking? Perhaps I'm
      mistaken, but it seemed to me that some of the criticism I read directed
      against the title of this book, "The Critical Edition of Q," was merely a
      not-so-veiled partisan disgust for another book on the Q hypothesis. After
      all, the merits of this reconstruction surely don't stand and fall with the
      title of their book, yes? Or is it that some people are so unaware that the
      term "critical" has more than one meaning? I will note that the 10th
      edition of "Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary" gives the following
      meaning for the term "critical":

      << d : including variant readings and scholarly emendations (a ~ edition) >>

      But it also includes:

      << c : exercising or involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation >>.

      To me, the title "The Critical Edition of Q" is perfectly intelligible, the
      objections to this title seem narrow minded and partisan, I can't imagine
      why intelligent people should complain about it.

      -Steven Craig Miller
      Alton, Illinois (USA)