4882[Synoptic-L] excavating Q

    Oct 2, 2000
      Brian Wilson wrote --

      >Has the IQP actually defined their "Q hypothesis"? If so, it might be
      >interesting to know what it states.

      Stephen Carlson replied --

      >I think it all depends on what you mean by "defined." I am applauding
      >them for reconstructing Q *and* documenting their decisions every step
      >of the way. This transparency allows the interested critic to evaluate
      >their work with[out] having to guess or "infer" what their reasoning
      is.

      Stephen,
      I wonder whether it does allow the interested critic to do this
      unless the IQP have defined the hypothesis they are using? It seems to
      me that without a definition, the interested critic would not know what
      hypothesis to evaluate, or what the work is supposed to be about,
      however thorough the documentation on decisions on which words are
      supposed to be included in hypothetical "Q", and which are to be
      excluded.

      The writing of the IQP can hardly be "transparent" unless at every step
      of the way it clearly relates their decisions of what words to include
      in "Q" to their documentary hypothesis of "Q". That can hardly have
      happened if they do not know what documentary hypothesis they are trying
      to apply to the synoptic gospels to produce their reconstruction of "Q".

      Does anyone please know whether the IQP have defined the "Q hypothesis"
      or "Q", and if so what their definition is? What have they actually been
      trying to do?

      _
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic