3708Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: The Four-gospel-collection

  • K. Hanhart
    Feb 5, 2000
      John C. Poirier wrote:

      > Your argument that Jesus was crucified during the week of Sukkoth,
      > rather than Pesach, is interesting. I have never thought about the
      > detail of the “upper room” in that way.
      >
      > Of course, the view that the Triumphal Entry happened during Sukkoth is
      > not new. (As everyone notes, Mark’s time indicators, from which our
      > notion of a “Passion Week” is derived, come from his hand.) It has been
      > argued by a number of scholars already.

      Indeed, an original Sukkoth of the Transfiguration appears to be
      possible and the suggestion about the "upper room" is intruiging.
      However, (a) in canonical Mark, as we have it, the last meal is dated in
      the context of Pesach. (b) Mark and the synoptics date the crucifixion
      on Pesach while John, for reasons all his own, date the crucifixion on
      Nisan 14. (c) With the typical Markan expression, "ton logon ekratesan"
      + "questioning what this rising from the dead could mean" the
      Transfiguration now appears to be related to Mark's passion story about
      Pesach. (d) Canonical Mark shows clear signs of the editing of an older
      document (e.g. 3, 13; 4, 10-12 etc).
      It appears to me that the traumatic events surrounding the Fall of
      Jerusalem led Mark to radically revise an older passover haggadah which
      ended with the transfiguration narrative (orginally read during
      Sukkoth?). Karel

      > Yet, I don’t think anyone has given the argument for a Sukkoth dating
      > the attention it really deserves, and a couple of more supports could be
      > added to the argument.
      >
      > First, recent studies have emphasized that Sukkoth was primarily a
      > celebration of the Temple. (See esp. Hakan Ulfgard, *The Story of
      > Sukkot*.) This brings an added dimension to Jesus’ comments directed
      > against the Temple.
      >
      > Secondly, I don’t think that Peter’s outburst at the Transfiguration has
      > been properly interpreted. Those scholars who have interpreted Peter’s
      > words in the light of Sukkoth have unfortunately tended to combine it
      > with other details of the story, and have only posited a general Sukkoth
      > imagery lies behind the account. This, I think, is a
      > misinterpretation. Peter’s reference to booths is a chronological
      > indicator: the forthcoming journey to Jerusalem had the celebration of
      > Sukkoth as its (immediate) purpose. The Transfiguration is the last
      > thing that happened in Galilee before Jesus and the disciples made for
      > Jerusalem. Peter’s comment, “Lord, let us make three booths here,” was
      > a lastditch effort to dissuade Jesus from going to Jerusalem, *where he
      > was going to celebrate Sukkoth*.
      >
      > John C. Poirier
      > Middletown, Ohio
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic