3700Re: [Synoptic-L] drinking the blood

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Feb 4, 2000
      On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Brian E. Wilson wrote:

      > Yuri Kuchinsky wrote --
      > >But the whole account of the Last Supper as it is found in the gospels
      > >is probably quite late. Certainly "drinking the blood" appears to be a
      > >late element.

      > The idea of "drinking the blood" seems to be present in the writing of
      > Paul in I Corinthians 10.16 - "The cup of blessing which we bless, is
      > it not a sharing in the blood of Christ?" It would seem that the idea
      > could be early, and may even be original to Jesus.

      Brian,

      Lk 22:19,20 is equivalent to 1 Cor 11:24,25, and this presents a serious
      problem. Which way does the dependence go? There was a long discussion of
      this on Crosstalk couple of years ago. Evidence seems persuasive that
      there are interpolations in Paul in this area. You can see my arguments on
      my webpage, starting with my survey of Van Cangh's arguments that Markan
      eurcharist is the earliest. From this follows that Lk/Paul version of the
      eurcharist is late.

      I don't think there's any need to launch into linguistic speculations like
      Jack does in order to explain this matter.

      Thanks to Louis for correcting my mistake about the proper name for
      Tabernacles. If he wants to find a historical kernel in various accounts
      of the Last Supper, he should read Van Cangh who does an excellent job in
      analysing all the texts very closely.

      Best regards,

      Yuri.

      Yuri Kuchinsky || Toronto