3563Re: [Synoptic-L] Did Luke use Matthew

    Jan 2, 2000
      At 11:20 PM 12/30/99 -0500, Brian Tucker wrote:
      >I would like either a
      >response or bibliography for answers to these questions.
      >Matthew and Luke did not know each other.
      >1. Luke lacks the Matthean additions to the triple tradition.
      >2. The Q material is found in a different context in Luke.
      >3. At times the Q material is less developed in Luke.
      >4. The lack of Matthew-Luke agreements in order and wording against
      >5. The lack of M material in Luke.

      Thank you for sharing with us Stein's five main arguments for Q
      [Stein 1992: 790-91]. These five arguments are more nuanced than
      their titles suggest and are more fully developed in Stein's own
      introduction [Stein 1987: 91-103], which closely tracks Fitzmyer's
      exposition of this issue [Fitzmyer 1970: 147-56].

      Subsequent to this article, Tuckett has written a chapter on the
      existence of Q, in which he offer four reasons: "Matthew's Additions
      to Mark" (cf. nos. 1 and 5 above); "Order" (cf. nos. 2 and 4);
      "Greater Originality" (cf. no. 4 above); and "Doublets" [Tuckett
      1996: 7-11].

      Previously, Kümmel offered reasons nos. 2, 1, and 4 [Kümmel 1965/66:
      *50], and Streeter only offered reasons nos. 1 and 4 [Streeter
      1924: 183]. Even prior to Streeter, Papias' testimony was thought
      to support Q, but this argument has been largely abandoned.

      Stephen Carlson

      [Buttrick 1970]
      David G. Buttrick, ed., JESUS AND MAN'S HOPE (Pittsburgh:
      Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, 1970).
      [Fitzmyer 1970]
      Joseph A. Fitzmyer, "The Priority of Mark and the 'Q' Source
      in Luke" in JESUS AND MAN'S HOPE [Buttrick 1970: 1:131-70].
      [Green et al. 1992]
      Joel B. Green, Scot McKnight, I. Howard Marshall, eds.,
      Contemporary Biblical Scholarship (Downers Grove, Ill.:
      InterVarsity, 1992).
      [Kümmel 1965/66]
      Werner Georg Kümmel, EINLEITUNG IN DAS NEUE TESTAMENT, founded
      by Paul Feine & Johannes Behm (14th rev. ed., 1965), English
      trans. by A. J. Mattill, Jr., INTRODUCTION TO THE NEW TESTAMENT
      (Nashville: Abingdon, 1966).
      [Stein 1987]
      Robert H. Stein, THE SYNOPTIC PROBLEM: An Introduction
      (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books, 1987).
      [Stein 1992]
      R. H. Stein, "Synoptic Problem" in DICTIONARY OF JESUS AND
      THE GOSPELS [Green et al. 1992: 784-92].
      [Streeter 1924]
      Burnett Hillman Streeter, THE FOUR GOSPELS: A Study of Origins,
      treating of the manuscript tradition, sources, authorship, &
      dates (London: Macmillan, 1924).
      [Tuckett 1996]
      Christopher M. Tuckett, Q AND THE HISTORY OF EARLY
      CHRISTIANITY: Studies on Q (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1996).