2308Re: Thomas 79 // Luke 11.27-28

  • Jim Deardorff
    May 5 11:07 PM
      There's a tiny piece of Mark's response to Stevan I'd like to make a short
      comment on:

      On May 5 Mark Goodacre wrote:
      Stevan had written:

      >> It might be said that Luke has placed it [Lk 11:27-28] there as a substitute
      >> for the repudiation of the family event that he found in Mark,
      >> which event he repaired and placed elsewhere. If so, and it's
      >> not clearly so, I don't see where that gets us.

      >I think that the substitute idea is a good one, though to make sense of it we
      >need Markan Priority without Q. Since Luke has already used Mark's Mothers
      and
      >Brothers section in 8.19-21, when he comes across the same section just after
      >Matt. 12.43-45 // Luke 11.24-26, he composes a substitute version, viz.
      >11.27-28. I should add that this is Goulder's point and not mine.

      I'm glad that Mark made us aware of Goulder's argument here, as I think it
      is an excellent one, very plausible. With this argument, however, we need
      only that Luke be dependent upon both Mark and Matthew (no Q), without
      needing to specify whether Mark has priority over Matthew or not.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...