1837Re: codices from the beginning

  • Jack Kilmon
    Feb 1, 1999
      In my understanding, after the wax tablets, the term was applied to books of
      this format made of papyrus, vellum, or
      parchment. Although papyrus usually appeared in the form of a scroll, and
      parchment and vellum in the form of the codex, there was a brief intermediate
      stage, the papyrus codex. This came at a time when parchment was not yet fully
      accepted, partly because it was thought to be a somewhat vulgar material, and
      partly because, when the codex was new, it was not realized that papyrus was not
      really suitable to that format.

      Jack

      Jeremy Duff wrote:

      > Papyrus codices came first, on the whole, not vellum.
      >
      > I wouldn't be surprised if some of the earliest extant codices are the
      > biblical ones from the second century (papyrus), though I may well be wrong.
      > If you want to know try Turner, The Typology of the Early Codex (1977).
      >
      > Jeremy
      >
      > At 13:27 01/02/99 -0800, you wrote:
      > >An early codex, or caudex, was essentially two wax tablets bound
      > >together like a book, or two ivory or wooden slates with wax. I
      > >am interested in the what ms fragment is the earliest extant
      > >exemplar of a vellum codex and the earliest exemplar of a papyrus
      > >codex (which apparently came later)...not necessarily biblical in nature.
      > >
      > >Jack
      > >
      > >Jeremy Duff wrote:

      > Julius

      > >> First reference to literature in codices is Martial Epigrams 14.184-192
      > >> (mid-late first century AD). Beforehand (Caesar etc.) they were used for
      > >> jottings.
      > >>
      > >> Jeremy

      > >> Jeremy Duff
      > >> Junior Research Fellow, St Cross College, Oxford
      > >> Tutor, Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.
      > >>
      > >> EMail: Jeremy.Duff@...
      > >> Phone: 01865-274218

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic