10022RE: [Synoptic-L] Streeter

  • Peter Head
    Mar 1, 2005
      >I have just checked the Dictionary of National Biography (online -
      >fantastic) for Streeter:

      I'm afraid my potted and prejudged account was not far wrong:

      Streeter, Burnett Hillman (1874-1937), biblical scholar, was born at
      Croydon on 17 November 1874, the only son of John Soper Streeter,
      solicitor, and his wife, Marion Walker. He was educated at King's College
      School in London, and from 1893, when he went up to Oxford with a classical
      scholarship at Queen's College, his life was that of a typical Oxford don.
      Queen's College claimed practically the whole of his academic loyalty: he
      became successively fellow, dean, and praelector (1905), chaplain (1928),
      and provost (1933). The only break was from 1899 to 1905, when he was
      fellow and dean of Pembroke College, Oxford.

      www.oxforddnb.com/

      Pete

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608