more spiralling

  • kirby urner
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2012
      Per my presentation in 2009, International Room / Hyatt Regency / O'Hare,
      the goal in spiraling is to revisit the same topics at deeper and shallower
      levels (variations on a them), while meanwhile moving the pointer to keep
      both lore and technology, history and logic, on the scene and tunable. We
      go out of band for some listeners, some of the time, that that just stretches
      their hearing in some cases.

      Those tracking my science fiction in this archive know it breaks down into
      familiar tracks:

      * post-Gitmo Cuba, theme parked, refreshingly free of tired monotonous
      monoculture;

      * inter-base exchange / visitation programs, mingling more diplomats and
      individuals ranked by a military services (aka Occupy); and

      * Girl Scout Math, shorthand for new brands of training geared for XXs
      yet served by XYs as well and finally,

      * CSN or "church bingo / state lottery with you in the driver's seat" --
      sounds like a mix of church and state but only because I'm striving to
      reach potential recruits from both sides of that chasm.

      A little more on each one:

      Interpretive Center / Gitmo

      I've met up with some Gitmo alums (service / logistics) and started sharing
      some of the plans, which involve expanding some of the commercial
      entities that already have a track record in Havana. How this links to the
      Linus Pauling House depends somewhat on how it goes with Ben and
      Jerry's, which has a storefront down the street. Keeping Havana
      refreshingly fast food free would depend on city ordinances with a
      Disney World level of control. Capitalism and central planning have
      a shoulder to shoulder relationship in some companies. This has
      smoothed work with dictators, but democratic players are not precluded
      thereby. Cuba encourages participation, yet advances cautiously,
      knowing a misstep will be seized upon by bitter parties to the feud(s).

      Inter-Base Exchange

      In the lower 48, this has been designed as a bizmo activity, with
      connectivity provided while teams / officers are on the road, making
      stops at a mixture of bases and schools. Yes, there's recruiting going
      on, but the price paid for this new level of reality TV making is a
      much larger and growing civilian services component, as bizmo
      fleets are working for them as well. Overseas, there's some focus
      on Okinawa especially, and the showcase curricula expected in the
      base schools. Honoring our shared history and understanding
      what's been happening is an important aspect of schooling and
      what better place to begin the transition to a more civilian lifestyle
      than on the campus of Okinawa.

      Girl Scout Math

      A lot of science fiction was set against the backdrop of the
      Philippines, at the sites of formerly Clark and Subic bases, both
      of which I've visited but which since the Viet Nam War have been
      in search of a mission. The mission is and was providing training
      of various kinds, as well as switching and storage without needing
      to bother with civilian air traffic patterns and ground control too
      much. There's still a "clear to land" pattern among the camps,
      where girl scouts are becoming pilots, mechanics, all manner of
      pro. Breaking through the glass ceiling has been helped a lot by
      computer science, but that's another story.

      ====

      So you can see, the themes are pretty consistent. The bizmo or
      business mobile is a common feature of the landscape already,
      though the term itself remains obscure.

      A lot of the curriculum information is going out through the STEM
      groups I'm serving, such as math-teach and mathfuture. For
      example here's a link mentioning icosahedral numbers,
      1, 12, 42, 92...

      Speaking of synergetics, I've just received a link to Koski's newest
      and have started to view. It's about the Golden Spiral. He's been
      kicking around these U,V,W modules for quite some time, as well
      as P, Q, R. I get confused between the Q and the U sometimes,
      though maybe David himself had that wire crossed? There's a
      rather large hypertoon implied here, interconnected segues with
      keyframe switchpoints. Such a streaming toon would continually
      help summarize as newer bits got added. These are the CSN
      reveries I keep talking about, rounding out my report (I'd almost
      forgotten about Coffee Shops Network):

      =====

      Coffee Shops Network

      When the DWA partnership died, owing to the death a a partner,
      the 4D Solutions DBA lived on at least at the checking account
      level. The last 1099 was dated in 2011, to me, and I closed the
      business as such, keeping the logo and literary aspects going,
      paying off any debts. 4D links back to Bucky Fuller's spin on
      that meme as chronicled in art history, with me appropriating it
      and perpetuating some of the "syndicate" associations (Trevor
      instrumental). The US Bank Small Business Loan to DWA helped
      me survey Portland's Dionysian scene, one might say, but my
      then my marketing is Athenian (less rationally Apollonian) without
      being particularly Bacchanalian. We're Athena's invisible army,
      with some HQS in Nashville. There's a whole mythology there
      (not just by me and/or Homer) stretching to West Point and
      probably ancient Sumeria.

      Once I stopped being a consultant for the school (OST) and
      went to a W2, I stopped trying to make 4D look like a 1065
      partnership, which doesn't mean DWA has been lost or forgotten.
      Neither has Global Data Corporation, which I used to write about
      a lot more, still climbing my literary ladder.

      So these are the abstruse financial matters dealt with in more detail
      in my on-line Quaker journals, which make the business dealings
      more transparent, as well as the model, which is open source.

      http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/

      =====

      OK, off to drink coffee and watch David's new video.

      Kirby
    • coyote_starship
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2012
        > =====
        >
        > Coffee Shops Network
        >
        > When the DWA partnership died, owing to the death a a partner,
        > the 4D Solutions DBA lived on at least at the checking account
        > level. The last 1099 was dated in 2011, to me, and I closed the
        > business as such, keeping the logo and literary aspects going,
        > paying off any debts. 4D links back to Bucky Fuller's spin on
        > that meme as chronicled in art history, with me appropriating it
        > and perpetuating some of the "syndicate" associations (Trevor
        > instrumental). The US Bank Small Business Loan to DWA helped
        > me survey Portland's Dionysian scene, one might say, but my
        > then my marketing is Athenian (less rationally Apollonian) without
        > being particularly Bacchanalian. We're Athena's invisible army,
        > with some HQS in Nashville. There's a whole mythology there
        > (not just by me and/or Homer) stretching to West Point and
        > probably ancient Sumeria.

        > So these are the abstruse financial matters dealt with in more detail
        > in my on-line Quaker journals, which make the business dealings
        > more transparent, as well as the model, which is open source.
        >
        > http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/
        >
        > =====
        >
        > OK, off to drink coffee and watch David's new video.
        >
        > Kirby

        I've been trying to file more autobiographical material in the math-teach forum
        but apparently I have over-taxed the censor's patience. The text below was meant
        to attach to the following thread:

        http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2385232

        Could be it will show up tomorrow, out of order, in which case this might be
        considered a backup.

        Kirby

        =======

        On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Haim <hpipik@...> wrote:
        > Kirby Urner Posted: May 23, 2012 8:30 PM
        >
        >>> As for you, if the word "ethnos" has any coherent
        >>> meaning at all, I count you precisely 0% Asian. No
        >>> offense.
        >
        >>Our CSN CTO Jodi was raised and corn fed in the middle
        >>states, from an orphanage in Korea originally.
        >>
        >>She's not ethnically connected to her compatriats in
        >>America?
        >
        > Jodi is not ethnically connected to her compatriots in Korea. You speak the words, "For me, it [ethnos] transmits independently of genes", but then everything you say afterwards seems to imply the opposite.

        Ah, so we *do* have partially overlapping meaning for "ethnos".

        Since growing up in Indiana or wherever it was, she got into the cause
        of orphans globally and ended up touring the village where she'd been
        born, in a limo, on behalf of some world NGO.

        The PR is mixed, as it may give the impression that orphans go on to
        have better lives in America where everyone lives like a VIP, cite
        limo.

        We met when she bought a coffee shop near my house. She still lives
        in this zip code but is always doing CFO stuff, managing property or
        whatever that entails. She's married to some guy in Alaska but they
        only see each other sometimes. She has a daughter by previous
        marriage.

        She's good a kick boxing.

        She's worked with lepers in Uzbekistan. The with hospital ships in
        Central America (she gets hot under the collar talking about the sense
        of entitlement the do-gooders have).

        My CHR worked in Sri Lanka, but that's another story.

        > If Jodi was brought to America as an infant, then nothing about her is Korean. Almond eyes and yellow skin cannot make her Korean, otherwise there are 1.3 billion Koreans living in the place we call China, since they all have almond eyes and yellow skin.
        >
        > Ah, perhaps you count yourself 50% Asian because you lived for a time in the Philippines. Did you go native? Did you adopt the language? Did you settle in some village and started farming rice? Did you take up any of the other million billion things that make up the texture of Philippino life? I am guessing "no". I think you were but a tourist, there. Just another Gringo passing through.

        Ah, so at last it starts to filter in.

        At least you admit the possibility that someone spending most of high
        school growing up immersed in a place, can make a difference to
        someone's psyche.

        Do you also admit people are variable in how quickly or deeply they
        "go native" in places?

        Like with actors, like Sean Penn: he's this spazzy weirdo who wants
        to kill Nixon in one movie, then the self-confidant war lord a couple
        movies latter, different physique and everything, wow.

        The State Department has people who can "go native" in a matter of
        weeks, in the sense of absorbing the vibes. Nirel for example, who
        spends time doing yoga in India, then goes to Greece, then reports
        back to Linus Pauling House where I listen and take mental notes
        (she's CTO, daughter of a boat captain).

        I'm not that good with languages, nearly failed Arabic (I was prepping
        for Egypt, family lived there seven years, post Philippines).

        My guess, based on the stereotypes you dish out, is you're highly
        immune to ethnicity, memes in general, and would be low on the totem
        pole when it comes to fielding empaths.

        You'd still be highly employable though, as one of those stolid
        characters who doesn't go native, more like that guy in 'Idiot Abroad'
        (a TV show).

        >>We don't have the same meaning for "ethnos" for sure.
        >>For me, it transmits independently of genes, most
        >>obviously, Obama a case in point (part Asian, like me).
        >
        > Most likely. Barack Obama is as much Indonesian as you are Philippino. (Approx 0%.)

        We should talk less about individuals and compare our views at a more
        zoomed out level. I would say, for example, that the USA was hugely
        transformed by its adventures in the Philippines, and continues to be
        so as a result of that relationship, in ways the UK never experienced.

        Gen. Lansdale is one to read for a more insider view (his "go native"
        powers were pretty high). Filipinos permeate the US Navy in
        particular.

        I'd say the USA "national psyche" (do we agree to talk of one -- of
        many more likely) is way more Filipino than the UK psyche is, and as
        you go towards the Pacific Coast, you pick up more of the difference.

        When you live on the Pacific ("American Lake") and flit about between
        Okinawa, the Marshall Islands, Palau, Guam, and the Philippines, in
        between times in Portland and Sonoma County, you start to tune in an
        ethnicity called "Pacific Rim" (Vancouver BC another capital).

        The thing about ethnicities is new ones are emerging all the time. My
        good friend in Rome was son of the Korean ambassador. Sure, we took
        off our shoes and ate dried squid for an afternoon snack, but
        otherwise we were both immersed in the same James Bond movies and
        nuclear physics. When I visited him in Seoul, he was in a Simon &
        Garfunkel phase in his music.

        You could say James Bond is all about the UK and a marker for the
        spread of UK heritage. Fine. But I'm saying it was never a one way
        street. To the extent Korea has become "Americanized" so has America
        become unrecognizably different (if only one could live 200 years to
        see it) thanks to the whole East-West thing that's been going on.

        If your a great literary critique like Northrop Fry, you think
        East-meets-West has been the great cultural phenomenon of our era.
        But sure, it's possible to live through it and kind of miss it.

        I talked about the Philippines above, didn't even begin to measure the
        impact of Viet Nam / Thailand. Again, best if you imagine new
        ethnicities such as the world has never seen, than to think of rice
        picking or conical hats. Maybe you haven't been to Asia lately. They
        had cooler canopies for their pickups in Bangkok than the USA for a
        long time -- Portland has only recently caught up.

        Anyway, what's important to take away from this chatter, about me, is
        whether I'm 0% or 50% Asian for real, I consider myself to be > 0%
        Asian.

        Remember also that Bill Clinton considered himself to be a lot like
        that guy in 'The Jerk' (could have been a campaign commercial): as
        black on the inside as Obama seems white on the outside.

        Whether you, some New Yorky know-it-all Jewish guy with an attitude,
        buys that Bill Clinton is 50% Afro-American (southern blend) is not as
        important as the fact that many blacks *did* buy it, and voted for the
        guy on that basis. He had a base. Obama has more of a base in expats
        than you might think, precisely because of his mixed up heritage.
        Lots of State Department people love the guy, not because they've met
        him personally, but because of what it does for their career. Being
        in Africa with a black guy on the wall behind you (the omnipresent
        Obama - Biden photos) makes a difference. Makes a difference in
        Germany too, and Sweden (who even gave him a Nobel).

        >>> Depending exactly on the purpose of your analysis, it
        >>> may be much more useful for you to consider military
        >>> contractors as part of the military than not.
        >>
        >>But none of these people are Mafia apparently, even if
        >>publicly funded and teaching children of base families.
        >>Or maybe they are, it's never clear.
        >
        > I'll bet that if you really wanted to, you could figure it out.

        I try to get value from all this time spent interrogating and
        examining your analysis. Not only yours, but on math-teach more
        generally. I spend a lot of time here.

        What I have to factor out is how much of your agenda really only makes
        sense in a New York context where you have those famous magnet schools
        (as we'd call them) like Stuyvesant (right?).

        I was a high school math teacher in a Catholic girls school after
        Princeton, you may not recall, in Jersey City, home of the Statue of
        Liberty. I had a reputation for being "color blind" among some of the
        other teachers, but I think that was just the result of being a
        creature of multi-culturalism. I'm a freak in some ways, but you have
        to understand how proud that makes me feel, like a Cirque du Soleil
        superstar. That's how I make the big bucks (lights Cuban cigar) and
        meet these freak women (e.g. my chief operating officers).

        What counts as "ethnicity" by the way? Is "gay" an ethnicity? Shall
        we get Mr. Knight to pipe up again? I ask in part because Portland is
        a really thriving gay culture and I think that has to do with the
        pioneer stock who finally made it out here by wagon train. The
        puritans had all died out along the way, or stayed behind to be
        pastoral Xtians. We're "unprogrammed" out here (relatively). And
        that's in part what explains the seemingly "anything goes" Pacific Rim
        liberalism. Asians didn't go through the puritanical stretch e.g.
        Prohibition the same way the USAers did. They're not Bible thumpers
        for the most part, even after all these centuries of missionary
        activity.

        >>[ -- I think I'm clearer now though -- it's all about >
        >>Unions if you're Mafia, whether they're in play ]
        >
        > Nope. Still cold. For example, the United Auto Workers are a union, but they are not part of the EDUCATION Mafia. Also, Columbia Teachers College is not a union, but it is the beating heart of the Education Mafia. Keep working on it, though, I'm sure you'll get it, eventually.

        No rush. Cascadia has its own evolutionary path. I'm not sure what
        happens in New York need concern us. Certainly Washington DC is not
        especially required for its leadership, when it comes to STEM. Mostly
        lawyers in that town. Again, the Pacific Northwest is more Pacific
        Rim, more into high technology of a civilian nature (Google,
        Amazon...), versus Beltway Junta stuff (Honeywell), though we do have
        a lot going in surveillance and UAVs, which we'd like to pry loose
        from the misanthropes and uber-cowards currently abusing the
        inventory.

        >>Is it part of your thesis that a religious academy, or
        >>military academy, is by definition doing a better job at
        >>teaching arithmetic, or do we want to do comparisons?
        >
        > How could that be a definition? Maybe they are doing a better job, maybe not. Isn't that an empirical question?

        We agree then. It's an empirical question.

        A lot of Catholic schools are just hell holes with not much math
        learning happening.

        I am *not* speaking of the one where I worked, which was and is widely
        recognized as a good school. A lot of my calculus students went off
        to schools for really smart people.

        A lot of them were Filipina.

        >>Lets talk about budget, support personnel, and all the
        >>funding for past wars, care for veterans etc. One
        >>student costing a million a year costs the same as a
        >>million costing one dollar.
        >
        > Hey! I have a better idea. In Math-Teach, let's talk about American public education.

        You have this public, calling itself "American", the self-educates,
        mostly using mass media, underground media, and schools.

        Some of the presidential campaign initiatives use underground media
        more, which includes simply hard to find or esoteric channels.
        Pictures of Obama toking up are popping up around Portland, because
        the youth vote is overwhelmingly anti Drug War. Part of way Cascadia
        sees itself as outside the Federal jurisdiction is it shares in
        California's and Hawaii's and Canada's "illegal" drug trade (not a
        secret, not scandalous -- considered a medical crop). The Feds are
        seen as Prohibition Era bozos, Puritanical backward idiots, scarcely
        above monkeys in IQ, many of them sitting judges. We're very snobby
        in that way. We look down on DC as an embarrassment and distance
        ourselves by allying ourselves with the Pacific Rim (this is what's
        going on psychologically -- you may not agree with my analysis but I'm
        writing for others besides yourself obviously (e.g. Hansen did some
        research on Cascadia, might still have lingering interest)).

        These "Americans" are "touring" more and more, but in battle fatigues.
        This is different that post WW2 Europe, where it was retired folks
        from the trailer parks coming over on the Queen Mary, an endearing
        crowd.

        Now these "Americans" are more like Blackwater thugs, here to kill at
        will and not ask many questions.

        A question many people are asking is: what has gone so terribly wrong
        with this "experiment in democracy" that its people are showcased in
        military uniforms and hierarchies, as if from some movie about ancient
        Rome. Is the USA really planning to be a Fourth Reich or what?
        What's with the Rome stuff? Inquiring minds want to know.

        Answer: they're falling back on what little conditioned reflexing
        they have, in the absence of a bolder, more democratic and more
        contemporary curriculum. The good news: there's lots of evidence
        that upgrading is going on, especially in the underground media. It's
        getting to the point where we don't need the textbooks (especially the
        math books) to update their STEM content. Those icosahedral numbers,
        and their relationship to virus morphology, are getting out there in
        world readable formats, on Youtube etc.

        Lots to celebrate, from a Pacific Rim perspective.

        >>That was my question before: when you disband the Ed
        >>Mafia, aren't you going to trigger a stampede into the
        >>security sector and para-military?
        >
        > No.

        At the moment, I have no choice but to see you as somewhat blinkered
        and blinded by parochial concerns. You don't come off as very
        worldly. More the xenophobe who stays at home, watches Catholic
        bishops inveighing against the scary Islamic culture that's showing up
        in Nordic climes. You come across as a shut in of a sort. I'm sure
        that's not accurate, but you have the disadvantage of not wanting to
        let us in. My life is an open book by contrast.

        AFSC looks at this too (the integration of Islam into North American
        zip codes): lots of Somalis in places like Tennessee, with no history
        of being slaves to white North Americans. They have a picture of
        America as the land of the free and they're building mosques and
        learning to shop and drive. This is happening all over. It happened
        after Viet Nam too -- so many refugees coming over (where I got
        started when returning to Portland, as CUE was a hub for refugee
        resettlement).

        I'd say the USA has always been partly Islamic but is becoming quite a
        bit more so and things are tipping as indigenous Muslim brotherhoods,
        which grew up fighting racism and police brutality (Black Panthers
        etc) find ways to leverage Arab Spring / Occupy ideals. Muhammad Ali
        is a cultural icon, for his standing up to the Nixonite crazies (he
        wouldn't go to Viet Nam in service of a nut case ideology). The
        refusal to be an idiot and just do what idiots tell you: a promising
        sign. Islamic banking is also gaining a foothold. Lots of people in
        Whittier (where Nixons are from -- we know some of them, good folks)
        are happy with the new bank on the block.

        Kirby
      • coyote_starship
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2012
          --- In synergeo@yahoogroups.com, "coyote_starship" <kirby.urner@...> wrote:

          > I've been trying to file more autobiographical material in the math-teach forum
          > but apparently I have over-taxed the censor's patience. The text below was meant
          > to attach to the following thread:
          >
          > http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2385232
          >
          > Could be it will show up tomorrow, out of order, in which case this might be
          > considered a backup.
          >
          > Kirby

          More discussion of our censored threads at math-teach:

          Safe to say, that other stuff I parked here didn't get through,
          but per the archived posting below, it got some readers thanks
          to Synergeo.

          Good think to have some anchoring spots out here in the Wild West.

          Kirby