Re: votecounting

  • coyote_starship
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2010
      Right, you could build in a coin flip, once it gets to that level.

      But it's so rarely cut and dried. You've introduced a time
      sequence, where all the dirty tricks are assumed to have already
      taken place. So then do we go back to those?

      Imagine something similar to vote by mail in Oregon. You don't
      all have to vote on the same day, there's at least a week. You
      need not take time off work. You'll have a way to vote online,
      by entering your PIN. Email confirmation will come back to your
      email box, showing how you voted and giving another number you
      can use to find your vote. You needn't keep it a secret how you
      voted -- be as public as you like (your choice).

      Traveling overseas? No problemo. There's a way to vote from
      your iPhone.

      There's also a lot of votes taken throughout the year, polls. People
      are in the habit of voting often if they want to. So they know
      if their credentials are working, i.e. it's not a matter of being
      surprised on "election day" (once a year? once every four years?).
      On the contrary, a trusted voting infrastructure is used almost
      daily, by at least some set of eligible persons (you might have
      needed to register -- like now).

      It's easy to imagine working solutions that are light years more
      advance that what we have today. People generally feel satisfied
      with the systems and understand how they work. Access is quasi-
      universal. Literacy rates are high, infant mortality is low, and
      the debates on TV are intelligent and to the point.

      People in this future look back on our ranting raving dark age of
      crazy-making punditry, and fall to their knees in gratitude that
      at least it's not 2010 or thereabouts, when everything was just
      nuts! They weren't even teaching about Bucky hardly at all, when
      so much depended on waking up to brighter prospects.

      Hard to explain, how our ancestors could be so slow.

      Something in the water? Lead poisoning?

      That's what some speculate happened to the Romans. Brain rot
      eroded their civilization from the inside out. Fast food?

      Kirby